My Boy • XVI

The contractions had started to come early in the morning - around four in the morning - after my water broke, but I didn't called my mom right away. At eleven o' clock, I finally picked up the phone and she told me to wait, saying that she and Mel would be right over. It took at least twenty minutes to get from my mother's house to my apartment.

Another contraction hit me and I bent over slightly, clutching the wall nearest to the kitchen. I squeezed my eyes tightly together and waited for the pain to pass.

It's okay Raya. They'll be here soon.

I sighed in relief when I felt normal and sank down on the couch, still a little winded.

It's finally happening. I'm going to have my baby.

I smiled lightly at the thought, but I lost it as the phone started to ring. I groaned and reached for it, holding it up to my ear, "Hello?"

"Raya! Guess what?"

My heart completely stopped. Oh my God. Why did he have to call today out of all days? "Kento! Um, now really isn't a-," I cut myself off, biting my lip as I looked down to my stomach. His daughter was going to be born today and he didn't even know it. I realized that I could tell him right this instant, and I knew he would get on the next plane back here...but I just couldn't. I couldn't turn back now. He was almost going to be finished with his freshman year of college. "What happened?" I asked with a small smile.

He paused, "Are you sure? I mean I can call back later or something..."

I laughed and inhaled breath sharply, "It's fine Kento."

"Well," he hesitated, "I got a letter in the mail. My book's going to be published."

I grinned so widely despite everything that was happening, "See Kenny? I told you so!" He laughed and I joined in, "I'm so proud of you."

I could hear the smile in his voice, "Thanks."

Just then my mom and Mel walked through the door. Mel came rushing over to me, "Oh my God, Raya! Are you alright? How are you feeling?"

My eyes became panicked as Kento asked, "Is everything alright, Raya?"

Shut up! I mouthed to Mel.

Her jaw dropped and she pointed to the phone. Kento? She mouthed back.

I nodded and she slapped her head, muttering, "Oh my God, I'm so stupid."

"Yeah, I jus-" I gasped out loud as another contraction hit me.

"Raya?" Kento asked.

Oh my God.

Mel's eyes widened and she grabbed the phone that had fallen to my lap, "Kento? Hi, it's Mel. Yeah," she glanced at me and I silently thanked God as I grit my teeth together. "Oh, Raya came down with the flu about a couple days ago. She just went to bathroom to throw up."

If I weren't in so much pain I would've rolled my eyes at Mel's bluntness, but it was a good excuse after all.

After a minute, the pain ceased and I panted a little regaining my composure. I motioned for Mel to give the phone back and she did hesitantly. "Hey, sorry about that Kento," I said.

"Raya, you didn't tell me you were sick," he responded.

"I know, I just..." I squeezed my eyes tightly together. I hated lying but I was good at it.

"I'm gonna let you go, okay? Just rest, Raya, please," he commanded.

I smiled weakly, "I promise."

"Good," he paused. "Bye Raya."

"Bye."

And with that, we hung up. It was always the same. We hung up always knowing that something else needed to be said. Words that would express our affection toward one another.

But we didn't say them. We just left that uncomfortable air hang over us as we said our goodbyes.

But I couldn't possibly be in love with Kento. Right? Even if I've known him since we were little, it didn't matter. We technically only started "liking" each other after we had sex...

Three weeks isn't enough time to fall in love with someone.

But in reality it was actually three weeks plus nine months since we still talked on the phone a lot. But still.

I knew one thing for sure, though: It's been way to long since I've seen those dark eyes. I was literally craving them. And his lips... God those lips have to be illegal. Now that I think about it, all of Kento should be illegal. I blushed at that thought.

I sighed and leaned my head on the back of the couch. I'm going crazy.

My mom rested a hand on my shoulder, "How far apart are they?"

"About twenty minutes now," I responded shakily.

"We'll call when they get to be five or ten minutes apart, okay?" she my braids back and kissed my temple. "Everything will be fine."

So we waited.

And when we finally got to the hospital, did I realize how scared I was. I was literally trembling like a leaf in the fall.

They checked my temperature, blood pressure, checked my blood and even my pee, put something on me so they could monitor my contractions...everything.

When it was time, all I could remember was pain, the nurses telling me to push, squeezing my mom's hand so tightly that I thought it would come off, and of course, silently cursing the shit out of Kento.

But after ten hours of labor, Lianna Williams was born and I couldn't have been happier.