chapter two!

genesis jones often lost track of time.

she didn't mean to, but it just kinda happened. like today, it was light outside the small but busy cafe, but now it was dark. the problem with the dark for gen was that she was awfully terrified of what someone or something could do to her during the time.

when night started to fall, she was to afraid to leave the cafe, so she told herself a few more pages wouldn't hurt. but then it got darker, and darker, and even darker,

it was now 9:27.

the funny (and in gen's opinion, cute) waitress from earlier pulled up a chair to her table, sitting across from her. at first, gen did not notice, but then the waitress cleared her throat and gen's head snapped up. "oh!" she exclaimed, "i'm so sorry, i was just so caught up in my book."

the waitress nodded. "it? you like horror books?"

"uh, well not really, i'm just trying something new." the waitress nodded once more, and the two fell into an awkward silence. gen decided that it was time to stop reading, so she slid the bookmark she always used in between the pages. the bookmark was pink with floral print scattered across. there was an upside down heart hole punched into the top, with a pink ribbon tied onto it. it was quite funny, actually. seeing the girlish bookmark with the gruesome book.

the waitress broke the silence, "so how long have you been reading it?"

"i just bought it today." the waitress's eyes widened in shock. gen assumed it was because she was a pretty fast reader, so in the day she had made somewhat of a dent.

"a day?"

"i know, i'm a fast reader. i go through about a book a week, but today i decided to try something new."

"hm."

the awkward silence fell between the two again, but this time, gen was the one to break it. "so, is this your only job?"

"yeah, for now. i'm in college at the moment and i'm just doing this to hold me down for a while. what about you?"

"i'm an assistant teacher at a middle school. i don't think it's too far from here. what are you studying in college?"

"acting."

gen was obviously taken aback, she didn't expect the cute waitress in the small but busy cafe to be an actress. "seriously? that's amazing!"

the waitress chuckled. "yeah, we'll see where it takes me. you said you're an assistant teacher? what subject?"

"music. children are so crazy when they're handed an instrument, it's insane. but at some point when they've matured enough they can sound really good." gen gushed about her job.

the waitress seemed interested, almost intrigued by gen. "that's so cool! i wish i had a cooler job!"

gen placed her hand above hers, which was on the table. "i'm sure all your hard work will pay off one day."

"thank you."

the two fell into another silence, which gave gen time to really look at the girl. she stared at her eyes. she had really gorgeous blue eyes that gen could only explain by breaking out into song and singing ocean eyes by billie eilish. but of course, she didn't. the waitress was pale, freckles littering her face. she could assume that the girl didn't like them, but gen adored them. her hair was quite beautiful, it reminded gen of a bonfire on a cold night. gen didn't know why, but she thought everything about this girl was absolutely beautiful.

what gen thought was hours, was really only a few moments. she felt as if she could stare at the girl for hours. but of course, she realized that her hand was still on top of the girl's, so she immediately ripped it off. her hand felt colder than usual now, but she ignored it.

the waitress looked down, for reasons gen didn't know. (in sadie's head, she was yelling at herself for blushing). but when she looked back up, she looked as if she had just remembered something, then she looked sympathetic. "oh yeah, i came over here to tell you that we're closing up."

gen gasped. "oh my god! i am so sorry! i must be keeping you back oh my-" she started frantically shoving all her items back into her backpack, slinging it over her shoulder, but suddenly stopping when she saw the outside.

the waitress looked up at her from her seat. "what's wrong?"

"uh, it's kinda funny but," gen hesitated, "i'm kinda afraid of walking home when it's dark. you know, all those horror stories."

the waitress chuckled. "but you're reading a horror novel?" gen looked down, obviously embarrassed. the waitress felt bad for the girl, so she prepared an offer. "i could walk you home?"

-

as sadie and the girl from the cafe stepped outside, sadie was prepared to go to the left, but the girl went to the right, so sadie did too. she didn't know why she was helping a random stranger with her fears, but as i said, it was an odd evening.

on the walk, the two were engaged in conversation. they talked about the girl's students, or how annoying college is, or simply whatever came up.

there was a time though, when the two walked in silence. the girl stared ahead, admiring the loud streets of new york. sadie took this time to admire her instead. her blonde hair looked soft, in a way she wanted to run her fingers through it, or maybe braid it, but it just looked soft. she had green eyes, and it reminded sadie of a forest. those kind that surround you with nothing but quiet and you can't describe it with any other word but peaceful. but sadie imagined that when the light hit them, they became a different kind of green. like maybe an emerald green, or light green. her skin was tan, but still pale.

sadie could only imagine what beautiful name came with such a beautiful girl. maybe luna? or jenna?

by the time the two reached her apartment, sadie had realized she had walked all this way, and still didn't know her name. so they stood in front of the door, and sadie just had to ask. "i'm sorry, i just realized i don't know your name!"

"oh yes! you too!"

"oh!" she giggled. "my name is sadie!"

the girl giggled as well. "well, sadie, my name is genesis jones."

"well, genesis, goodnight."

genesis turned and walked into her home, and sadie turned in the direction she came, walking all the way past the small but busy cafe and to her home.

throughout the walk, the only had one thought in her mind.

genesis is so much prettier than i could've imagined.