chapter four!

genesis jones could not believe it.

sadie sink was walking her home for the second time that week. gen really appreciated it, seeming as gen would probably be freaking out if it weren't for the girl next to her.

the walk was talkative, in a way that gen really enjoyed. they got to know each other way better. gen would call sadie a genuine friend at this point, despite knowing her for a couple days.

soon, the topic of love came up.

"so," sadie started, "any special man or woman?"

gen giggled. "oh no. no man or woman."

"really? why not?"

"well," gen has to really think about it. she never really thought about boys. in fact, she didn't really find any guys attractive. she usually admired the women more, but she thought it was just because they were simply more pretty to her. "i've never really thought of boys."

sadie tilted her head in confusion. "well what about girls?"

this left gen thinking even harder. "what about girls?"

sadie shook her head, "nothing. it was a stupid question." she chuckled awkwardly, trying to get off the topic.

gen suddenly turned to her. "what about you?"

"oh," she chuckled once more, "no. i don't really date. i just get these quick crushes but i move on quickly. i guess when i find the right one it'll stick."

gen nodded, a strange feeling bubbling up in her chest. "what's a crush like?"

"excuse me?"

"what's a crush like?" sadie looked very confused, so gen continued. "well, i've never had a real crush. not that i can remember at least."

gen was dead serious. she had never met a boy whom she thought of more than a friend. she was curious as to what it felt like, so maybe in the future she would know.

"oh geez. really?" gen nodded. "okay, well, it's like when you get butterflies in your stomach, kinda like the feeling you get when you're nervous for something. and you can't really take your eyes off the person, you just wanna be around them all the time. and then you can't stop thinking about them either. you just kinda wanna stare at them all day..." sadie trailed off, looking at gen.

"oh."

"yeah."

the two fell into a silence. something hit gen hard, like a punch to the stomach. no, not an actual punch, but realization.

gen brushes off the thought, and continued to talk to sadie.

"so... what's your family like?"

on the walk home, gen discovered that sadie's parents were pretty neat. she had four siblings, and her best friend millie (who also worked at the cafe). she learned about her other friends, finn, noah, gaten and caleb ("you should totally meet them someday!").

throughout her time with sadie, the feeling in her chest grew, and with that, the need to get home. so once the two reached her apartment complex, gen let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

"well, i'll see you next time, sadie."

sadie let out a light breath, smiling. "yeah, next time."

gen did not know, but as soon as the door closed, sadie stood outside doing a happy dance.

-

sadie sink was concerned.

on the walk, sadie expected the feelings to fade. the closer she was to becoming a friend, the closer she was to only feeling as such.

but on the walk, her feelings only grew.

she learned of her shitty parents who never talked to her, they just paid the rent so she wouldn't bother them. sadie learned of her best friend, charlie. she learned of her dog mandy, who she loved more than anything.

sadie also learned that there would be a next time.

and then, she learned that maybe genesis jones wasn't straight.

she couldn't help but have hope. she said she had never taken interest in guys, but said nothing about girls.

sadie knew it was a fantasy, that she had never found a boy to take interest in. that maybe she never found interest because she enjoyed the company of girls more than guys.

that maybe her crush wouldn't have to be just a crush.

but of course, sadie knew that it wasn't true. a girl like genesis jones was going to find the right guy, marry him, have kids, and buy a house. that would be genesis jone's happily ever after.

but in the back of her mind, sadie had hope. maybe there was the slightest chance that genesis would like her back. but for now, sadie thought she hadn't a chance.

for a short while, she lingered at the door she watched her crush enter. then, sadie sink turned the other way, heading home.

-

as soon as she shut the door, genesis ran upstairs, nearly tripping twice. she was sure that she would get questions from her neighbors later, but she couldn't think of that right now.

she clumsily unlocked her door, stumbling into her apartment.

it was 10:34 when she flopped onto her bed, frantically searching for her phone. once she found it, she could barely type from the amount she was shaking.

she typed in the only number she could think of, and hit the call button.

"gen?" charlie's voice sounded from the other end. "what the hell? you woke me up!"

"this is more important than your sleep! oh my god!" gen was panicking, the realization settling in. she started to cry, not wanting this to be true.

"gen, are you crying? what's happening?"

gen could barely choke the words out, but she managed.

"i think i like girls!"