chapter fourteen!

five years later!

genesis jones was okay.

she wasn't good, she wasn't bad, she was okay.

she was happy for sure. she had rekindled her relationship with her father, who showed up on her doorstep. he apologized and told her he was getting a divorce with her mother, who was manipulative and the reason the father and her hadn't talked in years.

the two were now best buds.

today, genesis walked into her bookstore, opening shop.

it was a used book store, the same place booksmart used to be. she renamed it miss benny's favorite books. it was a handful, but it held much meaning.

gen often missed the woman. sometimes, she would see a rainbow in a place it shouldn't be. she would look away, only to look back and see it gone. genesis liked to believe it was miss benny giving her a sign that all was okay, and that she was proud.

the first book on the shelves was it. the book that started her first, and only love. the bookstore was successful, it being a hangout for some teenagers in the area.

genesis still kept up with sadie sink, the now famous actress. she was one of the most famous in the world. it almost saddened genesis, because she doubted she had ever crossed sadie's mind.

sadie went on to be in the hit show stranger things, with some of her friends. she was great in it, and so were her friends.

genesis felt somewhat pride. she knew that because she let her love go, she was famous and rich and never thinking of her. she considered reaching out sometimes, but she never built up enough courage.

she was fine, though. she had a great relationship with her father, who always came to work with her. he sat in the back on the blue beanbag and did his work all day. her best friend was thriving. she was a fashion model, who still made time for genesis. charlie eventually got with noah, keeping genesis close to the gang. all of them except one. she ran her own bookstore, which was a success.

there was only one problem.

she felt empty.

ever since sadie left, she had the feeling. but as years went on, she lived with the feeling. it grew with her, but so did her tolerance.

every morning genesis would stop by the small but busy cafe. she would order a hot chocolate and a bagel and her father would order a black coffee and a croissant.

today, though.

today felt different.

you could say,

today felt odd.

it was just something in her stomach. genesis felt weird. like something was to happen that day. she just didn't know what, and it was making her anxious.

she didn't like it.

it seemed like a normal day, she stopped by her father's apartment. then they walked to the cafe, then opened up the bookstore. she even asked her dad, "does today seem odd to you?"