chapter eight!

genesis jones's heart felt broken.

the saturday after she heard of the woman's story, she returned to the bookstore.

it was empty.

she found a man sitting inside, watching the last of the shelves get taken out. she stormed up to the man, immediately asking "what's happening?"

the man looked at her with sympathetic eyes. "are you genesis jones?"

gen eyed the man, suddenly uncomfortable. "yeah, why?"

"the woman who owned this store died last saturday in her sleep."

gen gasped, tears welling up in her eyes.

the man pulled two envelopes out of his pocket, handing them to gen. "these were meant for you."

gen nodded, completely speechless. before she knew it, her feet were carrying her back home. she couldn't face sadie, or charlie, or millie. she needed sleep.

she got home and immediately fell into her bed, sobbing into the sheets. she never even got to know her name.

she opened one of the envelopes, the one that had her name neatly written on the front.

dear genesis jones,

if you receive this letter, i have died. it's okay though, because i assume that you've heard my story. please take good care of the store.

-miss benny.

p.s., don't forget your promise.

the letter wasn't lengthy, but gen was still crying after it. but it got her wondering. "take care of the store?"

the other envelope had her name stamped on instead of written. inside, was the lease to the bookstore. gen gasped, but before long she was back to crying.

-

sadie sink was concerned.

genesis wasn't at the cafe for the first time in two months.

millie saw her concern, letting her off work early.

sadie ran in the direction of her apartment, grabbing a bouquet of daisies just in case. she buzzed in her last name, and genesis opened the door.

sadie was shocked to see her favorite girl so broken. her eyes were puffy, cheeks stained red. her hair was a mess and she had her pajamas on. "what happened, princess?"

the question makes genesis start to cry all over again, so sadie takes her into her arms.

sadie thought that even as she was getting tears all over her brand new shirt, she was still the most beautiful girl she had ever seen.

sadie supposed that if she wasn't so sad she would've kissed her right then and there.

-

a/n

lol this is rlly short but it's gonna b better😳