6. The Re-encounter

RCB won that day but its journey in the 2019 edition of the IPL tournament ended pretty soon. Virat was definitely sad but he promised to himself as well as his fans that he and and his team would bounce back stronger the next time.

As the ICC World Cup was approaching, Virat thought it would be better to concentrate on that instead. He knew it that he would have to give his best for the world cup. There was no chance for him or his team to give any excuses this time.  For that reason, Virat engrossed himself completely in the training and practice. However, while doing so, he forgot about the promise that he had made to Rajiv. It was only when his manager Rohan told to him about someone named Anushka who had requested to get a meeting fixed with him that he remembered about his promise. He wondered about what Rajiv and Anushka might be thinking of him. What if they have thought of him as some celebrity who made false promises Virat thought. Virat didn't know why but the thought was unsettling for him. More than Rajiv, he didn't want Anushka to get a wrong impression of him. He decided to meet Anushka on the weekend itself.

Soon the weekend arrived. Rohan fixed Virat's meeting with Anushka in Hotel Trident at 5pm in the evening on Sunday. On Sunday, Virat left a little early from his net practice as he had to meet Anushka.  He went back home, freshened up a bit and got changed into a pair of casual clothes comprising of a tee and blue torn jeans.  Once done, he combed his hair roughly, fixing it the way he liked with a bit of gel. To go with his attire, he wore his favourite pair of Adidas shoes. He checked himself on the mirror once and smirked at his reflection because he thought that he was looking good.

When he was done, he got his wallet and the car keys from the night-stand and went out of the house and walked towards his car but not before locking the door. He didn't want any unwanted intruder to come to his place in his absence. After he got into the car, he fished out his phone from the pocket of his jeans and dialled Anushka's number. This is the first time he would talk with her after their last meeting in Reborn. The phone rang for three times before he heard the click sound of the call being received. Virat could feel the nervousness rising up his neck. He wondered if Anushka would get offended

"Hello!" Virat heard Anushka's sweet voice.

"Hey!" Virat replied. He realised that Anushka's voice sounded more soft and sweet in real rather than over phone.

"I wanted to inform you that I am about to leave  towards the venue. Should I pick you up on the way?" Virat couldn't believe that he actually asked her that question. Indeed the question was in his mind already. However, he was still contemplating on whether he should ask her the question or not.

"I have no problem in that. I will be waiting outside." Anushka lied. She did have a problem. Infact, she had a big problem with that. She was freaking out on the inside actually. She agreed to go with Virat only because she didn't want to offend Virat. Reborn needed his help now.

"Okay. I will let you know once I reach." Virat said and cut the call. Next, he kept the phone on the dashboard and ignited the car engine. The engine came into life as Virat pressed the accelerator. Soon he was on the road, driving towards Reborn to pick Anushka up. It took him around twenty minutes to reach Reborn because of the traffic.

Once he reached Reborn, he dialled Anushka's number again to inform her that he has reached. This time, she received the call on the first ring itself. Virat wondered if she was waiting for his call. But, at the next moment, he scolded himself for thinking like that.

"I am here." Virat said directly.
"Okay. I am coming." Anushka replied and kept the phone.

Within five minutes, Anushka came outside. She was looking adorable in a blue denim dress with white polka dots on it. Her hair was tied up in a half ponytail. Virat smiled seeing her. He found her as cute and beautiful at the same time.

Anushka passed him a smile too as she came and knocked on the door of the passenger seat

Anushka passed him a smile too as she came and knocked on the door of the passenger seat. Virat cursed himself for getting lost in the moment and immediately opened the door.  Anushka wanted to laugh seeing Virat panicking for such a small thing but then decided to as it wouldn't be a good thing to do. She sat on the passenger seat and was trying to fasten the seatbelts when Virat beat her to it.

"Let me help you." Virat said as he bended over a bit towards Anushka, thereby taking the seatbelt from her hand and securing it in its place. While doing so, Virat's fingers brushed lightly on Anushka's palm, which then immediately made Anushka to withdraw her hands from that position. She felt some kind of electricity surging through her body when Virat touched.

When he was done, Virat looked at Anushka. He was feeling happy in his mind because the awkwardness between them was slowly decreasing. When he tried to look into her eyes, he saw that she was looking at everywhere else except for him. He taunted himself for making things more awkward for her as well as for him when things were already awkward.

"Ummm.. I-I am so-sorry. I just wanted to help." Virat stuttered as he apologized.  Well that was a first for Virat Kohli. He didn't even remember about the last time he had stuttered.

Anushka who was trying to avoid looking at Virat all this while, looked at him immediately when she heard him apologising. 

"You don't have to apologise Virat. It was not your mistake. Instead, I should be thanking you for helping me out." Anushka said truthfully. She had her own insecurities and fears. That's why she was always so afraid. However, she felt that she should not voice those out before Virat because of two things- a. Virat was not someone she knew completely and hence she couldn't trust him and b. She felt that Virat wouldn't understand her because he may not have gone through the things that she went through.

Virat smiled hearing Anushka's reply. Maybe I was overthinking Virat thought.

"You don't have to say thanks for that Anushka." Virat smiled. Anushka smiled back. Anushka reminded herself not to make things awkward again. It was a close save for her this time.

After that, Virat started his car engine and they finally drove off towards the venue again. As the traffic was light this time, it didn't take much time for them to reach the restaurant. The two of them reached there within 10 minutes. Virat parked his car in the parking lot of the hotel and went out of his seat to open the door for Anushka. The last time, due to him zoning out, he couldn't open the door for her. This time, he didn't want to miss being a gentleman. When Virat went to Anushka's side and opened the door for her, she didn't understand why he was trying to do all that. He was a celebrity after all.

"Virat, it's not need-" Anushka couldn't even complete what she was saying as Virat  gestured her to be silent by putting his finger on his mouth. Anushka obliged and didn't say anything further.

"What do you mean it's not needed Anushka? I wanted to be a gentleman." Virat joked. Anushka smiled a bit. Virat has been surprising her since the time they met. He is really different than any of the other celebrities Anushka has met when they came to Reborn.