9. Budding Friendship

The night was a silent and dark one. The moon which usually shone bright in the night sky was also missing. Instead, there were big clouds which had taken over its place. One look at the sky and anybody would say that it could rain any moment from now.

The streets and alleys which would usually remain full of people and vehicles during the daytime were also deserted. No human could be seen anywhere.

Suddenly, the silence of the night was replaced by some footsteps. The footsteps of someone running. The footsteps of someone being chased. The footsteps of some others chasing someone.

As the people to whom those footsteps belonged to ran by the alleys, they casted their shadows on the wall. The shadows were of the same colour as the night. Dark.

There were four men. All of them were dressed in black t-shirt and jeans. The colour of their attires were another thing that matched with the night.

The men were searching for someone. A man or a woman perhaps.

As two of them talked, the other two looked around everywhere. Soon the two men who were talking, joined the other two in their search.

One look at their faces and one could easily make out that they were angry. They kept on hurling abuses from time to time. The kind of abusive words that they used made it evident that they were not good. Maybe they were goons.

"She's not here." One of them said.

"You a***e. She's wounded. Where do you think she can go? She should be here." Another one replied.

And again their search began.

They looked everywhere except for a garbage bin which was kept at one of the corners by the wall. It was full of garbage.

Who could possibly hide in there?

The men didn't think that the girl would be there.

That wrong thinking of the men proved to be helpful for the girl who was hiding in there. She was the same girl that the men were looking for.

The girl who was hiding in there found it more and more difficult to breathe with each passing minute. The awful odour of the garbage was choking her senses. She felt the urgent need for fresh air which she could get only if she opens the lid of the garbage bin.

However, there was a risk in it too. If she happens to open the garbage bin, the men will see her and then they will take her away.

She has to do something. She cannot just stay here and let the death come to her.

So, what she did is that she lifted up the lid of the garbage bin only a bit so that the fresh air can come in. The girl could feel her heartbeats getting steady.

The four men were talking again. They were discussing about her. If they should kill her or else rape her.

The girl got frightened by hearing that. What if they actually do something as heinous as that with her for real?

She could fight against one or two but they were four.

What chance could see have against four of them?

Can she escape?

What if they see-

Before she could realise what had happened a fast-moving van came to a screeching halt right beside her. The door slid open. Two men jumped out of the van, pulled the girl out of the bin, and threw her into the van. The door of the van closed just as quickly. The driver accelerated the vehicle and for a brief moment, the tyres rotated extremely fast and threw up some dirt from the road. Then in a flash the van sped away from that stretch of the road.