Chapter 5.)

• Ivy's POV  •

Little flickers of light flashed as moon light drew closer though the vast windows that filled my room's hallow walls. My eyes fluttered open. I glanced over to the alarm clock on my night stand, it's red letters reflecting on the cool black wood. The numbers read; 1:35. They whispered to me through my haziness of the night. I must've fallen asleep, or rather passed out, or got knocked out. Probably the third one. My fathers wicked nasty blows to my side ached and throbbed from last night. The pain is what must've made me drift off. I still remember my mom's evil snare as she watched her own daughter gasp for air from under the doorway. I remember that clearly.
It scared me. I pulled up the soft covers to my chin and around my cheeks like a little kid hides when they have a bad dream. My face squished around the white comforter that swallowed my body whole. I thought about what she said about my brother. How they were going to make me marry him, but the most troubling thought of all was how they said he killed him self because of me. You can imagine why he did with parents like mine. But I certainly wasn't the cause. How could I be?

When we were little mother told us how daddy had been specially picked out for her. She used to say all the girls in her family had someone specially picked for them. Now that I'm older I realize she had been forced to marry too, along with all her sisters. It was just a matter of time before I was arranged to Caspian seeing as I was the girl in the family. I just never thought if I was to have a planned marriage it would never be to my own brother. Now I see things more clearly. They had been pushing us closer and closer together ever sense we were little kids. They even went so far as too abuse me me just so I would hate them, and begin to love timothy more. They wanted me to become very dependent on him, cling to him make him my best and if anything my only option in life. Now he's dead and there's nothing I can do about it. I wish he were still here, he was my best friend.

I remember being younger and being bullied because Timothy and I were the richest and most wealthiest kids in our town. Maybe that made us a little snooty every now and then, but hey we were only kids. Hell I don't blame the Bratty ways we acted it was how our parents raised us. Everyone in HopeRidge knew our names, our friends, our family and even our house.

We always lived in the 'Hill Mansion', or 'The witches house', but it quickly began to become known as 'Black manor'. That's what people call it today. Mainly because of its history, and because it's been in HopeRidge so long. People fear our home though. I wouldn't even call it a home, just a house, and I'm living in it. I find it funny though, but yet sad that so many people in this town, in this valley fuss about being afraid of us, when really they're all monsters like we are.

This town is called HopeRidge. Yet there's nothing hopeful about it. The irony of everything disturbs me. Everyone's obsessed with reputations, but their depressed. I'm the most popular girl in school, not because I'm on the cheer team, or because I'm sweet and pristine, but just because I can be plain mean.

Mean is only half of the way I feel right about now. I feel just horrible about all of this. Taking him away from the love of his life, my own best friend! What hurts the most is that Caspian isn't even a player like the other guys. It took him years to get the guts to ask Thea out. He never likes anyone hardly ever. Thea is clearly the one for him.

Jack! My boyfriend. I had completely forgot about him through all of this! Suddenly I burst up in my bed, gripping the sheets madly. What was I going to tell him? How was I going to tell him? When? Caspian moves in on Saturday! Had I really been that focused on my soon to be boyfriend to even consider my own? Not even boyfriend my soon to be husband! It's one thing to tell jack I like someone else besides him, but to take it so far to justify how I'm leaving him to be married to someone else? I can't even imagine how he was going to take it. He's so attached to me emotionally, it's like a tigers claws clenched around my arms pulling me back, seizing to never let go. Maybe I was just over reacting, maybe he'll help me find a way out of this. Maybe he'll understand. I know he'll understand . . . Won't he?