23 - It's Hot!

Cani puffed and her ears sagged while she sat back in a small inflatable pool at the rooftop garden and watched the air shimmer above the city rooftops. 'I thought all this forest around here would keep things cooler.'

Guy chuckled and handed her a new glass with ice water. 'It does. But it still doesn't mean it can't be hot at times.'

Mami looked up from her Versaty. 'They predict a storm for tonight.'

Cani pricked up her ears. 'So it'll cool off again!'

Mami grinned. 'Tonight, yes, tomorrow's going to be even hotter.'

Cani poured her glass over her head. 'Aargh! Where can we find some cool refreshing space!?'

Noise from the lockers at the other side of the thick hedge separating the private roof garden from the public one caught her attention and she climbed on top of the low wooden fence in front of it to lean over the hedge. Zera sat with her telescope on a bench. 'Hey, Zera. What's up?'

Zera looked up. 'Hey, Cani. Just cleaning the lenses today. No use trying to see anything this evening.'

Cani nodded. 'Yeah, I was hoping the storm would cool things down but it gets worse tomorrow.' she said, and sighed and slumped over the hedge. 'I think I'll spend tomorrow in the fridge. The small pool isn't enough.'

Zera chuckled. 'Maybe a larger pool?'

Cani pricked up an ear. 'That could work. But is there one around here?'

'Not a pool but there's a lake close by.'

Both ears pricked up high on Cani's head. 'Really?' Zera nodded and looked back at Guy. 'There's a lake near here! Let's go there!'

Guy looked up from his work. 'Ah, that's right. I hadn't been there since I was a kid.' He pondered for a moment. 'I've got too much work to go today, but we could spend the whole day there tomorrow if you girls would like that.'

'Yes!' said five voices at the same time.

Guy looked at Cani. 'Does Zera want to come along?'

Cani only needed to look at Zera's smile for an answer. 'Yep, she does.'

Guy stretched. 'All right then. We'll need some things to take with us so if you girls take care of that today we can go early in the morning while it's still relatively cool.'

'Deal.' said the five.

***

Cani wagged her tail as usual when she looked at the baker's display case full of tasty goods. 'We'd like three large bags of assorted buns, a couple of uncut dark wheat loafs, and which snacks are best to take along on a day trip?'

Michelle collected the bread buns. 'You're going away again?'

Cani nodded. 'We're going to cool off at the lake tomorrow.'

Michelle sighed. 'Ohh, that sounds like a great idea.'

'What does?' asked Anna as she came up behind the counter with pastries.

'Going to the lake tomorrow.'

Anna nodded. 'That would be nice indeed. Swim in the cool water, rest in the shade, lazy around to escape the heat.'

Both girls sighed in unison and their father chuckled. 'All right then, why don't you go as well?'

The girls turned to him with big eyes. 'Can we?'

He nodded. 'Business is slower during the heat and we're stocked up so you don't have to help tomorrow.' he said and looked at Cani. 'If you guys don't mind keeping an eye on them as well?'