28 - In the Wild

'I should be back some time during the afternoon.' said Guy as he picked up his laptop case.

'Have a safe trip, darling.' said Feli and kissed him.

Cani wrapped her arms around his neck, kissed him, and grinned. 'Bring us back a souvenir.'

Guy chuckled. 'You mean cookies they only sell there, right?'

'I can live with that.' said Cani, and Ara, Mami, and Avia kissed him goodbye next.

'Stay out of trouble.' said Mami.

'And don't fall asleep during the meeting.' said Ara with a grin.

Down on the street, he looked up at the girls at the window, and waved back at them before walking to the train station.

Cani leaned back against the windowsill. 'Today's too nice to stay indoors. I feel like following the long hiking trail circling the neighbourhood and see what else is out there. Anyone want to come?'

Feli stretched. 'I'll go. I have nothing special planned for today, and taking a look at what's around here is a nice idea.'

Mami stared out the window at the clear sky. 'They asked me to prepare a program for several foreign groups visiting the park, so taking an extra breath of fresh air will do me good before I'm stuck at a desk for the next few days.'

Ara chuckled. 'I can not imagine you sitting at a desk for even one day.' she said and looked at the frame in the middle of the floor with part of her new project. 'I'm not in a hurry with my work, so I'll tag along as well.'

They looked at Avia, and she nodded. 'Maybe it's fun to do this with the kids later as well.'

Cani stood up straight. 'All right, gather snacks and drinks, then we can head out.'

***

The girls followed the colour coded signs nailed to wooden poles marking the trail, and enjoyed the symphony of wind, birds, and buzzing of insects playing in the forest. The trail led them part way up and down the hills surrounding the neighbourhood, and highlighted a few resting areas with picnic tables and nice views of a stream or greenery full of flowers. A few more people were hiking as well, but otherwise they felt as if they were all alone out in the wilderness.

They barely arrived at a small clearing near the bottom of a hill when an older man appeared from the trees, carrying a well used reed basket and wearing scuffed clothing. He lifted his hand in greeting. 'Hello there.' he said, put down his basket, and plucked a twig from his ruffled grey hair.

'Hello.' said Feli and gestured at a short tear in his pants. 'Are you all right? Did you fall and tear your clothes?'

The man looked at the tear down by his lower leg and chuckled. 'Don't worry about that, miss. I tore that a long while ago.' He gestured behind him. 'I picked mushroom and berries back there.'

Cani took a peek in his basket and noted it was full with the kind of food that could be found in this forest. 'You picked all that this morning?'

He nodded. 'All nice and fresh. I like to sit in front of my entrance and eat this when the weather is this nice.'

'Entrance?' asked Feli.

He pointed at the top of the hill. 'My cave entrance up there.'

They looked up. 'Is that where you live?' asked Mami.

'Yep. I'm not good with people around me, so I live alone and far enough to put my mind at ease. Doesn't mean I dislike people or never go anywhere, I just need more peace and quiet around me.'