26 - The Watched Watch Over the Watchers

Miss Tesha found the gang up on the roof on a pleasantly sunny morning during breakfast. 'Good morning!' said Feli. 'Tea?'

'Please.' miss Tesha said and sat down in the extra chair Guy had brought earlier. She laid a thick envelope on the table. 'Here's the good news. These are the visas for Avia's country.'

'We can finally visit her home?' said Cani and pricked up her ears. 'Fun!'

Guy looked at Avia, who fiddled with her bread bun. 'Aren't you glad?'

She nodded. 'But I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. We're a very strict society.'

He laid his hand on her wing. 'Don't worry, every society is different.' he said. 'It's not like we'll go live there.'

'I trust you all to be on your best behaviour.' said miss Tesha. 'It's easy to get in trouble there and I don't want to leave them with a bad impression while we're very slowly improving our relationships.'

'We'll show them we're a fun bunch and they won't have to worry.' said Cani.

'I think that is what worries miss Tesha.' said Mami and sipped her tea.

***

The gang stepped into the functionally decorated arrival terminal and the first thing they noticed were the many black uniformed birds present there. 'It's almost like a parade.' said Cani as she looked around curiously.

Avia nudged her. 'Ehm, it's best not to pay attention to them.' she said softly. 'It'll draw attention to you.'

Cani chuckled. 'A human, a feline, a spider, a mouse, a bird, and a canine walk together, and that invitation for thinking up jokes wouldn't attract attention?'

'Cani, behave!' whisper shouted Feli. 'It doesn't matter who we are, we need to make a dignified impression as a visiting species.'

'I feel many eyes following us.' said Mami, glancing at the security cameras on the ceiling. 'I don't think dignified will make any difference.'

'Just act casually, but not too casually.' said Guy. 'It's best not to think about it because then you'll just not be yourself and look out of place. We're not here on official business but to have some fun while learning about Avia's home and meeting her family.' He smiled gently at Avia. 'I for one look forward to learning about the area and customs you grew up with.'

She smiled shyly. 'It's nothing special.'

'If it's about someone that I want to spend the rest of my life with, it is.'

Avia blushed and Mami nudged Guy. 'Save the lovey-dovey stuff for later when we're less in the public eye, Prince Charming.' she said and chuckled.

He grinned. 'I was just saying what I think.'

They stopped at the customs desk for foreigners, and the custom agents and security personnel stared flatly at them. 'Papers.' a grey striped bird grumbled.

Guy handed over their identifications and visas, and the bird studied them as if to find a hidden cartoon character in a large drawing of a crowd. He glanced from the papers to the gang and back, and when he looked at Cani she grinned wide, matching her photo. He handed the paperwork back to Guy. 'Enjoy your stay.' he grumbled as if that was mandatory for visitors.

The gang went through the exit of the airport and gazed at the towering buildings of the city. Most were thick pillars with apartments spread out like tree branches along the lengths. 'I've never seen anything like that.' said Guy as he looked up at birds flying to and from platforms at the sides of those apartments. 'It's like a modern version of a forest.'