Chapter 9. Forced Smile

My eyes widened as the envelope was pulled out of Cole's pocket and handed it to me. I was frozen. What kind of vodo magic is going on? No one else seemed to notice the envelope as I glared at the damned thing. "I'm sorry.." were the soft words that came from Cole's lips. What was I supposed to do now? My vision blurred and warm tears ran down my face, "Don't you do this often?" I grabbed the envelope. That was the worst thing to say, if his facial expression was any help. "Wh-what do you mean?" Cole was astonished by my words but also looked frightened. Laughing dryly, and question, "Are we not going to the café?"

I opened the envelope as the sound of sirens and hushed chatter floated around. I read the only thing on the letter that mattered, "You're Invited". I looked up to Cole, who was dusting the invisible dirt off his pants, and before I could even open my mouth the world around me disappeared. The scenery changed quickly and I found myself standing in front of a table in the back of the café. setting down, Cole motioned for me to sit. This all very strange now that I was really observing my surroundings. The café looked to be new and it wasn't very crowded, with peop- err - beings sprinkled around the café. 

I took my seat infront of Cole and sat quietly waiting for a sign that I was going crazy before the waitress could take our order. I couldn't really see anything out of the window. It was like the way some horror games were, with the player surrounded by darkness and only able to see more by wandering the area. "Why are you so calm, Ms. Mercy?" I turned to the voice and glared, "Idiot, have I not been here before?" Cole releases a stiff chuckle, "That's lovely," he trails off as the waitress makes here way over to our table.

The lady asks for our orders and Cole responds, "The usual," Cole pauses, glancing at me, before continuing "and make sure you don't mix them up." With that Cole send the lady off. "So I have been here before?" I hummed. Without anytime to waste, Cole reached across the table and flicked my forehead. "Yes, if it weren't for that little mix up that happened, I wouldn't have to deal with this again." The café flooded silence as the sound of harsh footsteps became more pronounce as they got closer to our table. They stopped directly beside the table. Cole went to stand up, but instead was shoved back down. This caused me to look up.

An angry fist slammed onto the table as piercing red eyes stared into my teal ones. "Why was James there?" his voice boomed throughout the café and was definitely not what anyone expected him to say. "He wasn't suppose to be there!" his other hand came up gripping my collar, "If he wasn't there I could of-" Lucifer stops his rant standing up straight and removing his hand from my collar. "Cole, you can go now," he gives Cole a forced smile. Cole stand and quickly leaves, looking shacken up.

Lucifer takes the empty seat and and sighs before giving me the same forced smile he gave Cole, "Welcome back, Willow"