Chapter Eight

I looked at Isaac's hand for a moment before reaching out to grab it, taking my belongings in one hand and Isaac's hand in my other, I stepped over Mac's legs, who had crossed his arms over his chest and was scowling in his seat, his cheeks turning red, and hopped down from the booth, laughing at I waved back at Andie, who I actually liked, who was giggling and shaking her as she sat back down, her boyfriend reaching behind her to drape his arm around her and nudge Mac with the back of his hand to move over.

I tried to ignore the furious and envious look on Izzy's face as she turned her head to watch us, Isaac still tightly gripping my hand as we fled the diner, not letting go until we had reached his jeep and had to part to climb into the front seats. I glanced at Isaac as I settled onto the seat, sitting forward slightly to keep the bare skin of my legs off of the burning leather seat, noting that his shoulders were tense and he looked annoyed as he pulled his own door shut and shifted in his seat. He pulled his hat from his head and ran his hand back through the curls of his hair, looking frustrated as he readjusted the hat backwards on his head.

"I'm sorry for pulling you out of there," Isaac finally said, cautiously, as if he was trying to gauge whether or not I was upset with him, as he slipped his keys into the ignition but didn't turn them, his fingers lingering on them. I glanced between his hand and his face, curious. "They're not a bad group, as far as friends go, they just a lot to deal with sometimes. They can be," he paused, "overwhelming."

"I think I handled them just fine," I replied confidently, glancing behind us as the diner through the back window, thinking specifically of Mac.

"You did," Isaac laughed, his shoulders relaxing visibly as his expression softened. "I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about me." I glanced over at him. "Mac's not really a bad guy, but he definitely has his moments where he's just plain stupid. His dad's the assistant coach, though, so we sort of have to put up with him, but the guy gets under my skin. He's been long overdue for someone to put him in his place. Highlight of my summer." He cocked his head at me, his eyes shining.

"Well if that was your highlight, it sounds like you'll be in for a boring summer," I said dryly, raising an eyebrow at him. Isaac shook his head and laughed, relaxing back into the drivers' seat as he finally twisted the keys, the Jeep coming to life around us as he navigated back out of the space, turning onto Rayston Point.

"With you around, I doubt that." I watched him laugh again and then pull his lower lip through his teeth, unable to resist the small smile that inadvertently formed on my own lips at the carefree way he chuckled, and the dimple in his cheek that was infectious, no matter how hard I tried to ignore it. I forced myself to look away, glancing through the windshield as we started down the main road, as another thought popped into my mind.

"And Izzy?" I mentioned, with some hesitancy, anticipating the impact it would have, but too curious to keep my mouth shut. I watched through the corner of my eye as Isaac's expression shifted, becoming more solemn and serious once again.

"Izzy's been under the impression that once she graduates from high school we'll get back together." He sighed, fiddling with the baseball hat on his head again, and I started to wonder how much he used that hat as a crutch when he was feeling on edge.

"But that's not what you want?" The genuine curiosity I felt, the interest in knowing more about why she followed him around like a lost puppy even when he tried to brush her off, surprised me.

"No," Isaac sighed. "I haven't felt that way about her in a long time. And I really don't think she'll get the most out of college if she's just there for me. I tried to talk her out of going to the same school, but she wouldn't listen. This was the only school she applied too, and she's a legacy so she knew she was guaranteed to get in." I watched Isaac as he spoke, surprised at how relaxed and open he seemed. A small part of me wondered if it was because he was trying to make it clear to me that he was single, or if he was just genuinely trying to make honest conversation, the same way I was. I suddenly realized how much I wanted the latter to be true.