Chapter Twenty-Five

"Loren! Are you coming or what?" Leighton's voice was muffled through the sound of my closed bedroom door, but still clear enough for me to notice the underlying tone of agitation. Walking over to the door as I fumbled with the button of my jean shorts, I pulled it open just enough to yell back that I would be right down as I finally managed the button on my shorts. I grabbed my phone from my bed and tucked it into my back pocket, fishing my well-worn in sandals from where I had last kicked them underneath the edge of my bed, and grabbing an elastic from the top of my dresser. I piled my hair high on the top of my head as I rushed down the steps, my eyes landing on an impatient Leighton.

She was already standing by the door, holding Ethan against her hip, Elliot standing unsteadily on his feet by her legs, both of his small hands pulling down on hers, a frown on his face and tears welling in his green eyes. When I reached them, I bent down to pick him up, holding him against my hip as his small fists curled around the fabric of my t-shirt. His large green eyes blinked at me, his cheeks still pink.

"Sorry," I exhaled as I bounced him lightly in my arms, trying to make the pinched, sour expression on his round face disappear. "Let's go." I reached for the front door, pulling it open so Leighton could balance Ethan against her side and the boys diaper bag on her other arm without having to manage the door. I pulled the door shut tightly behind us, following Leighton to her car, walking around to the passenger side to strap Elliot into his car seat. I mirrored Leighton's movements as she settled Ethan across from me, completing the steps almost as quickly as she did, the last month of practice helping her making it much easier to maneuver the multiple straps and buckles.

In the front seat, I started fanning my shirt to generate some movement in the hot, still air until Leighton turned the key in the ignition, the fans immediately pumping out air that at first was just as hot and stifling as the air around us, which Leighton quickly turned down, apologizing. As she backed out of the driveway, the air conditioning cooled and I turned it up, continuing to fan myself.

"So the twins first birthday is on the 25th," Leighton said, half-engaged in the own conversation she was started as her head turned back and forth up Rayston, checking for traffic before she pulled out. When her brown hair fell out from behind her ear, she tucked it back. I studied her face, her eyes darting around, a dozen thoughts swirling beneath them.

"I know," I replied lightly, trying not to get annoyed at what felt like her millionth reminder about the twins first birthday ten days from now, as if I would have forgotten without her telling me at least once a day.

"We're going to celebrate with just family on Thursday, but their party's on Saturday, the 27th."

"I know, Leighton."

"I want to stop at the bakery first and put in the order for the cakes and cupcakes. That should be pretty quick so you can just stay in the car with the boys so we don't need to deal with getting them out than back in for a few minutes' trip. Then I want to stop at the craft store for decorations, then the grocery store."

"How elaborate is this party going to be?" I frowned, looking up from my phone at my sister. She glanced over at me as she drove, her eyes stopping in the rearview mirror at the boys before they fixated back on the road. I watched as they narrowed slightly, her shoulders tensing slightly.

"Well everything's double, Loren," she huffed slightly, her eyebrows pinching together slightly as the annoyance in her voice started to match the tone of her voice. "And it's their first birthday. It's a big deal."

"I'm not saying it's not a big deal," I shot back quickly, trying to deescalate the situation, knowing that she was already stressed about planning the party, and her immediate jump to defensiveness and defiance suggested something else was bothering her as well. "This is just the first time you've actually discussed details with me. I was just wondering what exactly you were planning."