Chapter Twenty-Seven

"How was your date with Alex?" I looked up from the novel I was reading, one I had picked up a last night after vising Vellichor with Alex again, finding Isaac settling onto his back on the towel, which had belonged to Andie before she disappeared towards the beach house a few minutes ago in search of snacks with Sasha. Our celebratory beach day after another stretch of rain had been sabotaged by Isaac and the rest of the crew joining us only moments after Andie and I set down our towels, and the semi-peaceful day I had been expecting at the already crowded beach was ruined by sand being kicked on my towel as the boys started to toss a football between them as they ran down towards the water.

They had been down there for some time, leaving Andie, Sasha and I to some peace. I had been alone for only a few moments when Isaac returned from the water, the first time we had seen each other in person since our sunrise trip to the marshes a few days ago.

"It wasn't a date," I sighed, turning back to my book, trying to focus on the pages instead of Isaac's head turned towards me, his wet curls falling over his forehead, eyes squinting in the bright sun overhead as he stared at me. When I glanced over my shoulder, Mac, Diego, Alex, and Lee were still throwing the ball around in the water.

"That's not what Alex said. He said you guys have gone out twice. Wouldn't shut up about it last night." I whipped my head towards Isaac at his words, instantly irritated. When I looked at Isaac's face, however, his eyebrows raised and lips split in a grin that brought out both of his dimples, I could tell that he was intentionally trying to get a reaction from me. However, his teasing expression couldn't hide the genuine curiosity hidden in his eyes. I set my jaw as I looked away from him, tucking one of the longer side pieces of my bangs back behind my ears as the wind picked up a little bit, providing some of relief in the early morning sun.

"Seriously, how was it?" I slammed my book with a huff, turning and resting the side of my head in my hand as I looked at him. He looked genuinely curious, almost concerned, the teasing gone from his eyes and expression as he searched my face for an answer while he waited to hear one.

"Why do you want to know?"

"We're friends?" He said questioningly, as if it was obvious.

"How's Izzy?" It was an unwarranted, cheap shot. There was no reason for me to bring her up, but I couldn't help it. Isaac was getting under my skin, and I knew mentioning Izzy was a surefire way to get under his.

I watched as Isaac lifted his head and let it fall heavily back against the sand, his eyes closed as he faced the sky, sighing heavily. He reached up and ran one his hands back through the matted curls on his forehead as he said, "I thought we were past this, Loren. I thought I apologized enough." He raised his other hand and kept both his palms over his eyes, a frown forming on his lips as he continued. "I am sorry about what happened at the marina. I am sorry Izzy's been giving you so much shit since you got here. I'm sorry that because of our past I defended Izzy instead of you. I'm sorry for giving you a hard time about liking Alex. I'm sorry-"

"Stop." I reached over and grabbed his arm, abruptly interrupting him from his ramblings. I tugged on his arm until he pulled his hands away from his head, and when he turned to look back at me again I retracted my arm.

"You have apologized enough," I said softly. "I shouldn't have mentioned her." I watched as he started to smile a little, genuine and relieved, the dimples faintly curving into his cheeks as his eyes danced across his face. "But if you ever talk about me liking Alex again," I warned, and his face grew serious again.

"Yes, ma'am."

I picked up my book, whacking the top of his head with it with as much force as I could muster with my arm twisted, scowling at him as I scolded, "What did I say about calling me ma'am." Isaac yelled lifted his hands, snatching the book from my hands easily and shifting his body away from me.