Chapter Eighteen

It was almost two weeks before I saw anyone outside of my family and Andie, except for strangers at the bars a few towns over that I snuck out to for a couple of nights, thanks to an old license I had stolen from Leighton a few years ago, under the pretense that I was going to Andie's house, in the days immediately following Izzy's near revelation of my past at the marina. It worked for a few nights, until Leighton and Dan started to seem suspicious and wary, and I resigned myself to sipping wine at Andie's house over dinner or binges of reality TV, or working my way through my dwindling stash of weed only when I was sure Leighton was asleep and Dan had either joined her or was still at work for a few more hours.

During the day, I forced myself to not think about what happened at the marina, and the dozens of New York they stirred up. Leighton and the boys took up much of my time, as we took the boys to the beach on some of the more overcast days, to a playground on another, to dinner by ourselves one night while Dan watched the boys, thankful when we didn't run into anyone I knew. If Leighton suspected anything, she didn't show it and thankfully didn't ask, at least not until almost two weeks had passed, and she started to question why I hadn't gone out in a while. In a quick and desperate attempt to divert the conversation, I mentioned that Andie had invited me over that night, neglecting to include that it was for a party because her parents left town for the weekend to celebrate their anniversary that Sunday, which immediately placated Leighton, but also forced me to attend.

After dinner with Leighton and helping her get the boys to bed, with Dan working overtime and still a few hours away from returning home, I changed into a pair of black skinny jeans, a white t-shirt and shoes, and told Leighton where I was going. When she asked if Andie was having a party or if it was just me, I responded with the latter, knowing full well that Leighton didn't actually believe a college-aged female was only inviting over one of her friends on a summer Friday night, but relieved she didn't press the issue.

When I finally pulled into Andie's driveway, the path already filled with cars, it was later than I originally planned. The twins had been throwing a tantrum, and it took long than usual to get them settled and in bed, which put me behind schedule for my quick, but still necessary, process of getting ready by changing my clothes, running some product through my hair with my fingers to combat the humidity, and applying some eyeliner mascara around my eyes for the first time in a while. By the time I walked around the side of the house to the backyard, the party was well underway, and when Andie saw me, she came bounding over to me, picking up two plastic cups on her way.

"Finally!" She yelled, beaming wrapping her arms around me as best she could without spilling the two drinks down my back, before she pulled away and thrust one at me. "Here! You need to catch up." She practically forced the cup into my hands, some of the liquid splashing around and dripping over my fingers, but I didn't object.

Not caring enough to ask what was in the cup, and I it to my mouth. It burned my throat going down, something that tasted like vodka mixed with a sweet liqueur and fruit juice, strongly mixed and capable of intoxicating me as quickly as I hoped. When I lowered the empty cup from my face, Andie's eyes were shining as she stared at me, cheering as I polished off the drink, before taking my hand and pulling me further into the backyard, towards where a table was set up with rows of glass bottles, mixers and shot glasses.

"Pick your poison." Her blue eyes shone, brighter with the makeup she decorated them with, as she waved her arm in front of the row of liquor. I scanned my eyes over the numerous bottles, reaching for a higher quality brand I was familiar with, likely one swiped from someone's' parents cabinets, because it was too expensive to be bought just for the sake of this party, and reached for a shot glass, filling it to the brim, along with two more that Andie placed in front of me. She took one for herself and handed the second to a girl I didn't recognize who had come up beside us, with ashy gray hair and bright blue eyes.