Chapter Fifteen

A few days later, broken up with more sleepless just barely remedied only by the sporadic moments of sleep I took when I finally reached the point of not being able to keep my eyes open, I found myself pulling up to the long driveway of Andie's house, a similar pre-war, southern style to Isaac's, bright white and fronted with columns that framed a black door, rich green trees enveloping the space in its own little world.

I had convinced Leighton and Dan to take the boys without me after finding out they were attending the party also, giving me time to smoke to attempt to alleviate some of the pounding in my head from lack of sleep and the aggravation I felt from my mother, who still refused to give up on her incessant phone calls. It had helped, and after a shower, the dress I had bought with Andie, which hadn't been washed and still smelt of the boutique I bought it from, and the aid of my perfume and eye drops I picked up at a corner store on my way out, I was clear enough to pass off my bloodshot eyes as the lack of sleep I had been getting lately, which I knew at least Leighton and Dan would easily believe.

Hoping it was enough, knowing I would be under the watchful eye of my sister and brother-in-law, I started walking towards the back of the house, the sound of faint instrumental music and conversation catching my ears as I rounded the back corner of the house. I slowed as I entered the backyard, my eyes scanning the crowds of unfamiliar faces in search of a familiar one, whether it was Leighton or Dan, Andie or Isaac, amongst the well-dressed crowds of middle-aged women in pearls and men in cargo shorts and bright collared shirts, children clothed as if they were being photographed for a summer catalogue, leaving me feeling as if I had somehow been transported back to our summer home and the frequent parties my mother hosted by the water. It made me falter, wanting to slip out as I felt myself being flashed back to the torturous days of being forced to attend those parties, but I very quickly lost my chance.

Andie, who was seated at a circular table along with the rest of the group, was facing me and her eyes had locked in on me from between the easily recognizable brown curls of Isaac and the straight brown hair of Izzy, both of whom turned back to me when Andie stood and waved me over, their expressions morphing into two vastly different greetings. Izzy's eyes narrowed as she visibly huffed, her arms crossing over her chest, while Isaac smiled, giving me a once-over as he draped his arm across the back of his chair and watched as I neared them.

"You own something other than jeans and t-shirts," Isaac said, glancing up at me through his lashes. I looked down at him, tilting my head to the side slightly.

"And you own something other than basketball short and t-shirts," I retorted, looking at his fitted tan pants and the white, short-sleeved button-up he was wearing "You need to work on your compliments, my friend." I pulled at one of his curls playfully as I walked past him, purposefully putting my eyes anywhere but Izzy's face, nearly red with rage, as I lowered myself onto an empty chair, stiff and wooden but covered with an off-white sheet, next to Andie.

"You look amazing!" Andie gushed, repeating her compliments from the other day when I purchased the dress, grinning as she leaned towards me, "He can't stop staring at you," she whispered, her lips barely moving and her words barely audible, even with her lips close enough that I could practically feel them moving. I rolled my eyes as she started to pull away, before she could see me.

"I'm not interested, Andie," I said with clenched teeth, leaning back in my chair and fixing my dress around my legs. Connor was seated next to Andie, Vi and Mariana between him and Izzy. Diego and Lee filled in the two seats next to Isaac, leaving Alex sitting in the seat to my left. I looked at him, angling my body in his direction.

"Read any good books lately?" Alex looked down at me through the lens of his glasses, smiling confidently as he ran his hand back through the waves of his blonde hair.