Chapter Seventeen

My jeans shorts clung uncomfortably to my waist and upper thighs as I trudged out of the water, having spent the last hour alternating between trying to shove Isaac's head underwater as revenge for pulling me in, and jumping from the cliff above us after Andie convinced me to come with her. I fiddled with the material, trying to keep it from rubbing uncomfortably against my skin, when I heard Isaac's voice saying, "Here," and his shadow passing over the ground in front of me. When I looked up at him, he was holding out a pair of black basketball shorts. I tilted my head, understanding that he was offering his clothes to me to change in to, but not understanding why.

"Look, you're gonna be uncomfortable if you stay in those, and I don't think we're heading back yet. At least for now, until your shorts dry."

"And whose fault is that?" I huffed as I glared at him, running my hand back through my soaking hair, fingers catching on some of the knots that had formed while swimming.

"Well, you're the one who got wet."

"Just shut up and give me the clothes." I reached for them, but Isaac pulled them back, the second time he had played this game shorts me. "Grow up." I held out my hand, the other still crossed over my chest, counting in my head, waiting only five seconds before I was going to pull my hand away, but Isaac dropped the pieces of clothing into my open palm in three.

"Thank you," I clipped, closing my fingers around them. Looking around, everyone else was gathering their belongings, preparing to head back to the boat. When Andie looked at me, I told her that I would catch up with her in a moment, watching as she disappeared into the woods, back in the direction of the boat, with Mac, Alex, Diego, Lee, Sasha, and Izzy, who walked with her hand in Mac's, swinging them together for the show I knew she was trying to put on for Isaac. As their forms disappeared, I drew my eyes back towards Isaac, who hadn't joined them.

"Are you expecting a show?" I raised an eyebrow at him, crossing my arms over his chest with his clothes still in my head. He smirked at my response, mimicking my pose.

"Are you offering one?" My eyebrows narrowed and my jaw dropped slightly at his response.

"You're actually disgusting. And I'm not changing in front of you." I waved my hand, motioning for him to leave, but he didn't take a step.

"I won't look." Isaac raised his hands so they were covering his eyes, his lips still raised in a confident smile, before he turned around so his back was to me. "I just don't want you to walk back by yourself," He added, actually sounding earnest, his back still turned to me.

"Like I'm in danger out here?" I looked around the space we were standing in, the center of a relatively small island, the only living things being the eight of us and the bugs and the birds circling around us.

"You never know. I'm sure you've seen The Birds." I could tell he was grinning even with his back turned towards me with the way his voice lilted and his body straightened up. I curled my fingers around the button of my shorts hesitantly, still waiting, not yet removing them from my lower body.

"The only problem I have to deal with out here is you. The Birds sounds like paradise in comparison."

"Ouch." Isaac's hands dropped from his eyes and landed on his chest, over his heard, and he turned his head over his shoulder. My fingers left the edge of my jeans and I whipped his shorts at him, the material brushing against his shoulder as he tried to duck out of the way.

"If you turn around again, you will not be leaving this island," I threatened, watching as Isaac's shoulders shook as he turned back around, covering his eyes again, and listening as he laughed at my empty threat.