Chapter Twenty-Six

My body jolted awake at the sensation of my mattress shifting, my comforter shifted over my body from the weight of whatever was next to me. I kept my eyes closed a moment longer, waiting to determine if there was actually somebody next to me or if I had dreamt it, but when I felt the bed shift under me again, my comforter pulling further away from my body, it was clear that someone was next to me. I opened my eyes, rolling onto my back and turning my head until my eyes landed on Isaac, resting on his side on the other half of my bed, propped up by his arm bent underneath me, watching me intently. My reaction was instantaneous.

"Oh my god," I groaned, turning my head so I was facing my ceiling again, lacing my fingers and resting my hands over my eyes. "What the fuck are you doing in my bed?"

"Good morning to you too, sunshine," he quipped, pulling at the comforter again until it came away from my legs, the cool air pulsing through the vents, pushed down from the ceiling fan, hitting my bare skin.

"Stop!" I growled at him, reaching for the white fabric to pull it back over my body, bare except for the underwear I was wearing and the t-shirt that had bunched around my stomach. I yanked the material as hard as I could, pulling what was not trapped underneath his body back around mine, desperately trying to preserve the warmth I had built up underneath.

"Seriously. What are you doing here at," I paused and fished around for my phone, patting the bed where I remembered dropping it last night. I was nearly sitting up, growing frustrated when my hand repeatedly hit only soft fabric, when Isaac held up his hand, my phone in it. I scowled at him before my eyes flashed to the illuminated screen, seeing that it was just a few minutes before the turn of the hour, "6:00? 6:00! Seriously, Isaac? The sun's not even up yet!" I cried, falling heavily onto my back. Beside me, Isaac chuckled.

I hadn't fallen asleep until well past midnight last night and hadn't planned on waking until much closer to noon. I groaned again, at his laughter, rolling until I was resting on my stomach, pushing my face into the pillow. I sighed heavily, resting for a moment, willing this to be a nightmare. When a moment passed, Isaac clearing his throat beside me, I spoke.

"Who let you in?" I mumbled loudly into my pillow. "And what do I have to do to get you to leave?"

"Your sister did, and I'm not leaving unless you're with me." I picked up my head again, looking at him, my eyes half-closed from a combination of sleep and confusion.

"My sister let you in? To my bedroom?" Isaac nodded, not seeming to understand what the big deal was about my sister not only letting him into the house but also letting him into my room, after her deliberate warning towards me to not get involved with him. It was unexpected, to say the least, but in the back of my still foggy mind, I started to wonder if it was because I hadn't spoken to her since the fight we had outside of the bakery two days ago.

"And why are you not leaving unless I'm with you?" I asked. I dropped my head back onto my pillow but kept it turned towards him, blowing up slightly when some of my bangs fell into my eyes. Isaac shifted, dropping onto his back, turning his head towards me. His hands, still holding my phone, folded over his stomach.

"I want to take you somewhere," he said softly, slowly, his eyes carefully and intently moving across my face in a way that made my stomach flutter, and I suddenly felt hyperaware of just how close he was to me on my bed, the way he lashes fluttered slowly as he blinked once, the way his eyes moved over my face with a deliberate, subtle intensity. I watched him for a moment, my gaze sweeping over the freckles splattered across his face, appearing more prominent than the day I had first met him, the brown curls free from his typical baseball hat that fell across his forehead, the dimple the carved its way into his cheek as one corner of his mouth turned up into a half-smile, the movement finally pulling me out of my trance.