Tired

The source of energy was extaordinary. The purpose they were on Berhert was just a hundred metres away. It reminded Carol so much of the energy she absorbed to get her powers. Layers of light and colour swirled and overlapped each other. The base of it was just a sphere of light, mainly yellow.

They both suddenly realised why they hadn't seen it before. There had been some sort of force field covering around one hundred metres of land. Not only had it protected it but it had made the source and it's surroundings invisible, replaced with a virtual version of the trees and nature.

The box providing the controls for this was clearly showing that specific mode was off.

Why? Surely now of all times they should make this invisible. Maybe we're wrong. Maybe that box is for something completely different. But that doesn't explain how we didn't notice it before. Carol thought.

"What's the plan?" Valkyrie asked Carol with a steady voice. "Take one hostage? Fly down from above?"

"Shut that thing down! Now!" Carol demanded after jumping out from behind a tree. Valkyrie sighed and rested her head on her hand as she heard every guard raise their weapons in Carol's direction.

"Wow." Valkyrie murmmered sarcastically, standing up next to Carol. "You're an idiot."

"Says the person standing next to me."  Carol said. Suddenly a skinny Daeleknux fighter jumped between the two sides with his hood and mouth cover pulled down.

"Wait! Hold your fire. We can't kill them." He panted holding both his arms out. Valkyrie recognised his voice.

"Zephin, pull your hood up and get out of the way!" Another fighter shouted.

"Zayum said not to kill Captain Marvel and the other one will die soon anyway." Carol felt a wave of anger wash over her and opened her mouth to speak but Valkyrie got there first.

"The other one?" She exclaimed. Carol turned to her, confused.

"That's your problem?" Valkyrie shrugged in response. "You continue to surprise me."

"Shut the hell up!" The fighter yelled.

"What are you gonna do, kill me?" Carol dared.

"No. We can't." Zephin said.

"We can."

"OK, I'm done." Carol said simply before shooting photon blasts quicker than anyone, even Valkyrie, expected. The fighters charged towards her but Carol met the half way with anger feuling her energy.

Within minutes only five fighters stood standing, all exchanging anxious glances and frozen to the spot.

Valkyrie appeared from behind a tree and nodded approvingly at the countless fighters laying on the floor.

"Feel free to help out at some point." Carol joked.

"Looks like you had it under control." Valkyrie said weakly. Carol noticed instantly and rushed over to support her. "And I was too tired." Valkyrie whispered before collapsing into Carol.

"Whoa." Carol said as she caught Valkyrie quickly. "Just sit down." Carol gently lowered Valkyrie to a tree stump and noticed her eyelids begin to drop. "Hey, stay awake for me. Please."

"Can we go home soon?" Valkyrie said in an inaudible voice.

"Yeah, soon. I promise." Carol said trying to keep her voice still.

"Will you be there?"

"Do you want me to be?"

"What do you think?" Valkyrie replied as her eyes closed.

"No, stay awake. Val? Valkyrie, please..!" Carol begged, scared to check for a pulse. Slowly, she lifted two fingers to Valkyrie's neck and paused before pressing down.

Carol let out a long sigh of relief and smiled slightly, keeping her hand on Valkyrie's neck to feel the reasuring beat of her pulse.

"She won't last much longer." A voice sneered behind her. Carol slowly turned her head to the source of the voice with a glare fixed on her face.

"Neither will you." She snapped, shooting a photon blast directly to his chest. He flew into a tree with the sickening crunch of his bones breaking. Carol stood up and faced the remaining four.

"Are any of you going to help me or are you going to end up like him." She said nodding towards the collapsed body. Only one fighter stepped forward. Zephin.

"I know how to shut down the source down."