Chapter Two: The Elves

STRUVLAND
Chapter 2
The Elves
Alessandra

Later that day, when the sun has gone down, the air has become freezing, and the stars have come out, we are all sitting down in the dining room waiting for dinner to be served by the servants. The tiresome day causes me to feel like it has been forever since we sat down, waiting for what I consider, idiots that work under the royal family, to serve us our food. I tap my foot, the sound muffled by the red luxurious rug under our feet.

I'm starving, if they take any longer I swear I'll rip one of them open, throat to groin, and eat their insides.

Finally, the servants bring us our food. The room is instantly filled with the delicious smell of chicken, sausage, cake, and other delicious dishes. The combination of the scents I am smelling has me practically drooling and ready to dig in.

The servants first set down a fruit that I've never seen before on each of our plates to eat before we ate anything else. Which is quite the disappointment for me but at least I get to eat something. The fruit is circular, medium-sized, and soft. It is dark purple and has small orange bumps going around the center of the fruit. I bite into the fruit and notice the inside of the flesh is a cute light green color and the juice is mostly clear with a green tint to it, meanwhile the flavor of the juice itself is sinfully sweet. I swear I have never had anything more delicious in my life, the fruit is so good I barely even notice the seeds and when I do, I spit them into a cloth napkin and request another to be brought to me.

After I finish eating the fruit, I ask what it is called, I am told that it is called Liale and was discovered by Kintoni who have lived in Struvland for centuries. I am also told that the fruit is not as popular in many countries besides Struvland. It is believed to help heal people faster and allow you to digest your food better, so most people eat it before every meal. But the taste of the fruit would make you think that it would be for dessert rather than something you eat before your dinner.

After everyone has finished their liale, our food is put down and everyone instantly starts filling their plates and digging in. I have the most amazing chicken I've ever had along with, potatoes, beans, and corn. After I finish my main meal, I grab a slice of cherry pie and a slice of cake. While eating my slice of cherry pie, I look up at everyone else at the table with a cup of wine in my hand and lock eyes with Queen Adelina, she smiles at me and then I shift my gaze to Prince Oliver, who is horking down his chicken across from me, completely oblivious.

I am about to go back to looking at my food when I am bumped into, hard, causing me to ram into the table with my midsection and my cup of wine to fall on the ground. Splatters of wine coat my chest, the left sleeve of my dress, and the left side of the hem of my dress. I angrily look for the culprit and notice an elf around my age with black hair, golden skin, a scared look in his green eyes, and his mouth parted in shock. He instantly starts apologizing, going to the floor to pick up my cup. I glare at the elf and my father gets up from next to me to walk up to the elf, the look of pure hatred painted across his face. My mother makes desperate pleas for him to come back while tugging at his sleeve, not wanting to make a bad impression since we haven't seen the Willens in so long. My father tugs his sleeve loose and moves toward the elf.

"Tell me, where in your incompetent little mind did you think that what you just did is acceptable?" My father asks, venom dripping from his words. The elf servant looks at him, scared out of his mind, his whole body shaking while he continues to clean up the spilled wine, apologizing profusely. My father bends down and slaps his face with great force. The elf groans in pain and falls onto the red rug, "Answer me when I speak to you, rat." Queen Adelina stands up from her chair.