Chapter Thirteen: The Stolen

STRUVLAND
Chapter 13
The Stolen
Lilith

"The girl is taking too long," Alexandra says. I open my eyes and sigh. She looks at me expectantly, her long onyx hair spilling over her naked shoulders. I sit up and brush a few strands of hair off her right shoulder.

"We need to be patient, dear. She will do what we want when it is time to do so. If the girl does not, well, then we will ask the boy or do it ourselves. Have faith, it is only a matter of time," I respond.

"We do not have the luxury of time. Adelina is going to figure out what we are up to eventually and once she does, she will realize I am alive and try to kill me or worse," Alexandra says. I shake my head and try to drown her voice out by listening to the fire on the far side of the bedroom, "Do not shake your head at me. We are limited on time and you know it. It is time for you to decide as the leader—"

"You are right, I am the leader, not you. I do not have to listen to you or anyone else, yet you constantly overstep those boundaries," I interrupt. I slide the blanket off my naked body and move off the bed, the cold stone floor caressing my bare feet. Chills spread over my body and I shiver before slipping on my clothes and walking over towards the fire to warm myself up. I hear the rustle of sheets and I know Alexandra has gotten off the bed to make her way towards me. A tall feminine shadow looming over me confirms my suspicions before I feel her hands on my shoulders and her chin on the top of my head. I shake off her touch and walk to the door.

"If she fails to murder my nephew," Alexandra starts. I pause with my hands touching the rough wood of the door to hear her words. "you will lose my support and my love. Although I suspect you do not care to be a leader anymore, maybe Christopher should take over with my backing. We might just steal your position right from under you."

I shake my head and open the door before slamming it shut and walking off.

I cross my legs as I sit on a chair made of rough, chipped wood and a poorly made red cushion

I cross my legs as I sit on a chair made of rough, chipped wood and a poorly made red cushion. Christopher lounges on a chair, relaxed, next to me while an empty chair sits on the other side of me. We watch the lower ranks laugh in front of a fire in the center of the room, discussing their next kills and how our lady in red will reward them. They are good at hiding it but I can see the hunger in their eyes for something more than what they have and they depend on me to provide that. They waste away, craving for power that some of them will never taste, for they are neither worthy nor are they strong enough.

I glance across the room as the doors open to reveal Alexandra. I lock eyes with her as the room goes silent in her presence. She smirks and holds her head high, loving the attention from everyone that she so desperately craves. I break eye contact as she sits in the empty chair beside me, the skirt of her crimson red dress brushing against the floor and the legs of the chair.

"Do not let me stop your fun, please, continue," Alexandra announces. The conversations and laughter resume as if she never walked into the room. She turns to me and lowers her voice. "You see how much power I hold here? I could have you replaced in a matter of moments. Do not test me."