Chapter Five: The House

STRUVLAND
Chapter 5
The House
Alessandra

After I  accepted the task Lilith gave me, I went back into the ballroom where the candles and lanterns were slowly being lit again after being all put out by The Red Eyes, who has now left. Prince Oliver is looking around with concern painted across his features when he spots me, he walks over. The ballroom is filled with panicked chatter over the calm sound of music coming from the band of musicians.

"Are you alright?" He asks.

"Yes, I am alright. Why were there not any guards outside of the ballroom?" I respond. He gives me a puzzled look.

"What are you talking about? There should have been at least four guards in the hall, where you were." Prince Oliver responds.

"Well-" I start before I am cut off by ugly King Richard.

"The Lamarels are not happy, their daughter has gone missing, we suspect she has been taken. It is your duty as the prince to help your mother calm them down and keep them from accusing Struvland." King Richard whispers to Prince Oliver. I look towards the Lamarels, Queen Fortune is glaring at Queen Adelina, as she tries to calm down the furious mother lioness who has lost her cub. Prince Oliver looks at me and grabs my shoulder, softly.

"I think you should go enjoy yourself, I'll take care of this." He whispers in my ear. I nod and he releases my shoulder. I make my way across the ballroom and stand in the middle, observing everyone. Soon enough, a young handsome gentleman with mid-length light brown loosely curled hair approaches me. The young man bows to me and looks me in the eye.

"Hello, Princess Alessandra, how lovely it is to finally meet you- or as they say it in Ylieria, a-"

"I despise elves, trying to impress me by using their forgotten language is useless," I say, cutting the young man off. He steps closer to me and I become suddenly uncomfortable. I am not short, I am just above the average height for my country but this nameless young man was even taller than my father, who towered over me.

"You have not given me the chance to introduce myself, my name is Kent Steele. My father is the blacksmith for the royal guard." Kent says, slowly moving closer to me. I step back, keeping my composure.

"Why are you dressed in expensive clothes then, and where is your mask?" I ask. Kent chuckles and fiddles with the black velvet material on his sleeves.

"My father is good friends with the queen and I happen to be good friends with Prince Oliver, they invited us and gave us clothes to wear," Kent responds, gesturing to a man across the ballroom who looks similar to him but older.

"That still does not explain your lack of mask," I say.

"I just simply did not care to wear one."

"I was going to ask how you know the language of the elves with your, most likely, poor education but just listening to you is boring me, you are a poor conversationalist. I'll be going now." I firmly state. Kent looks at me with pure shock while I walk to my mother. My mother looks up at me when I arrive in front of her. 

"Hello, my daughter, is there anything I can help you with? I'm not quite sure I like the look on your face." She asks.

"Why is there crimson in your hair like Queen Adelina's and my elf servant girl?" I demand, crossing my arms.