Chapter Fourteen: The Plan

STRUVLAND
Chapter 14
The Plan
Alessandra

Today, I will murder Oliver. I will tell him I want to talk alone and take him somewhere pretty far away from camp, then I will slit his throat when his back is to me. I should probably rough myself up some and hide the dagger so it looks like we were attacked. It truly is a shame I have to resort to murder to feel like I have some sort of freedom. Oliver did nothing wrong, he isn't to blame for all of this, I am. I got myself into this mess just by being born. I got all of us into this. Had I not been born I wouldn't be betrothed to Oliver and I wouldn't have to kill him. I wouldn't have any duty to fulfill because I wouldn't exist. Maybe I should die instead?

I sound like a fool. Maybe, I'm too weak to kill him. Has he slithered past my defenses and planted himself permanently in my soul? Doubtful, he is just a boy. I'm bound to forget him. I wish I could forget everyone else too, just run away and ignore the world but I do not have that choice or luxury.

I take a deep breath as I calm myself. I sneak Penelope's dagger into my right sleeve, almost nicking myself due to my shaking hands. Ysabel meows and tilts her head in curiosity. I bend down and scratch her behind her ears, she purrs in delight. A soft close-lipped smile spreads across my face.

"Your Highness?" A feminine voice, that I recognize as Penelope's, says. I turn towards the sound. She stands at the opening of the tent, a red book and a small green book tucked under her arm. I gesture towards them.

"Are those what I think they are?" I ask.

"Yes, we need to practice today. No exceptions or excuses."

"I had planned to do what was asked of me today."

"I don't care. You can do it later." Penelope states. I huff a breath and cross my arms against my chest. She raises an eyebrow.

"Can I at least bring Ysabel?" I ask. She looks at Ysabel and considers her response before sighing.

"I guess, but you have to figure out a way to keep her from running off. I will not be responsible for you losing her." She states. I nod. She turns around and leaves the tent. I pick up Ysabel and follow Penelope outside.

 I pick up Ysabel and follow Penelope outside

Penelope sighs as she plops down on a log. The torn red skirt of her dress is dirty from snow and mud. I look down at the skirt of my simple pale blue dress and frown noticing it is in identical condition. If I were in Pentoya currently, I would never be caught dead looking this dreadful. In addition to my tattered dress, my lips are cracked, my hands are dry, and my nails are chipped. I look like a disaster, my father and mother would disown me if they saw me in this state.

"Are you going to sit down or are you just going to stand there? I'm not going to carry you back to camp if you pass out again." Penelope says. I chuckle.

"You are too small to carry me. You would fall over the second you tried." I reply. I sit down on a rock across from her.

"I may be small but do not underestimate my strength, that could one day be your downfall."