Chapter Twelve: The Wind

STRUVLAND
Chapter 12
The Wind
Oliver

Tomorrow, we leave our camp and continue our journey to an unknown destination. The longer Alessandra and Penelope spend time together, the more annoyed they get with one another. I do not understand why they cannot just accept their differences and get along. Alessandra easily accepted Mei, why not do the same with Penelope? She seems to understand her hateful thoughts towards elves are wrong but has done nothing to redeem herself. I am slowly losing faith in her.

I watch as the wind blows a few strands of white hair away from Alessandra's face as she sits on a boulder while writing in a leather bound journal. Penelope pokes the fire with a thick stick while Mei chews on a piece of dried meat. The snow seems to have started to melt around us but the air is still an unbearable chill. Ysabel meows loudly from inside the tent. I chuckle as Alessandra sighs and gets up to care for her. She shoots a glare at me before entering the tent.

"I don't understand why she brought that cat. It is nothing but a burden and another mouth to feed." Penelope states.

"She loves the cat, and that is good enough for me." I respond. Penelope rolls her eyes.

"Please, you only say that because you still have your childhood puppy love for her. She could love Qularian himself and you'd still think she has the light of Ila shining from her eyes."

"She has changed since we were children. I don't count those feelings as being anything more than childhood naivety and I certainly don't feel any for her now. I can't bring myself to love her if she still thinks the way she does. It is wrong and harmful for everyone. I curse her father for poisoning her mind." I respond with a grimace. Mei continues to chew silently as Penelope crosses her arms and looks at me.

"She chose to believe the words he spoke. That is no one's fault but her own and it is her responsibility to grow from it." Penelope states.

"I understand. Also, who is this Qularian you mentioned?" I ask, rubbing my hands together to produce heat.

"Did you not learn any elven history as a child?"
"I learned some but not much, I only know that some elves follow their elven gods and others follow our gods."

"Of course, they never care to tell anything more. Qularian is the elf who caused the doors to Lerainia to be shut by the elven goddess Cosette. Lerainia is the realm where our gods reside. The doors to Lerainia also allow you to enter Morvega where all spirits live. Qularian believed that no being other than elves were worthy to set foot on elven lands, specifically humans," Penelope pauses to grab a piece of dried meat and take a bite of it. "He rebelled against the gods and the royal family, refusing to follow their laws. He broke into Morvega, claimed himself as the son of Dahlia and Dorian, and captured several dark spirits using forbidden blood magic."

"What did he do with the dark spirits?" I ask.

"He brought them back to elven lands and did rituals to possess gullible human travelers. The possession stripped them of their minds and caused a great deal of harm to them. When the spirits left them they were nothing but an empty shell of who they once were. There were some elves that enjoyed the pain that Qularian caused to the humans and started following him; these events were known as Qularian's rebellion," Penelope states.

"Do your gods have any relation to ours?" I question. Penelope takes a bite and nods.

"The elves believe their gods were born from your goddess Ila, two decades after Odia created her and five decades before Odia created your other gods," Penelope responds.

"Odia? As in The Mistress, the creator of all beings and our world?" Mei asks. Penelope nods.

Alessandra comes out of the tent and goes back to the boulder she was sitting on before, annoyance planted on her face as she scribbles sentences in her journal. I wish to smooth out the wrinkle between her brows and lift her frown to a proper smile. Penelope says something to Mei that I am unable to hear as Alessandra meets my gaze with a glare, her frown growing deeper.

"What are you staring at me? If you want something to observe, look at the trees." Alessandra snaps at me. Penelope rolls her eyes and I grin.

"I will stare at you for as long as I have eyes." I respond. Alessandra scoffs.

"Then I might just carve them out with a spoon." She says.

"Maybe you should." I say.

"Maybe I will."

A/N: that's all for now, folks

A/N: that's all for now, folks. I will see you later :)) yeehaw I love you my baby darlings 💕💕💕💕💕🤠🤠🤠🤠🤠 ps. If the formatting is wonky pls let me know, I couldn't post off my computer because the website was being weird so I had to use my phone :))