Bernia

Later that day, they were back on the road, headed toward Camelot.

Leo walked beside Diane, her thoughts on the battle ahead. It had been too long since she'd used her powers. She was looking forward to getting some blood on Megil's blade.

Ban sauntered up beside her, his hands in his pockets, and said casually, "You seem deep in thought, L. What's going on in that pretty head?"

Leo glanced up to the Boar's Hat, which was swaying with the movement of the pig as she walked, and then looked over to Ban. "I'm just thinking about Camelot, Foxy. Is it really wise to bring the princess with us?"

He lifted a shoulder in a shrug. "I don't know. She did all right in the last battle. And that was demons. This should be easier. And now we have Merlin. And you." He nudged her with his elbow. "We'll be fine. If seven sins can't protect the girl, then no one could have."

Leo pursed her lips. "So she and the captain....are they really...you know?"

Ban smirked at her. "Come on, L. Don't tell me you're jealous! Did you have a little thing for the captain all this time?"

She shoved him away from her. "No way in hell, Ban! The captain is nothing but my leader." She glared at him as he jogged to catch back up to her.

He chuckled as he reached her side. "Oh, that hit a nerve. You never call me anything but Foxy unless you're really serious." He slowed to walk beside her again and then said, "But to answer your question, yeah. The Captain really cares for her. He went berserk when the kingdom captured her. I'd never seen him like that before."

"I have." Leo thought back to when she had seen the captain with Liz, the first time they had ever met, long before any of them were branded with sins. She glanced over at Ban, who was watching her. "I just never thought he'd feel the same way about anyone else the way he felt about Liz." She looked up to where the captain and Elizabeth sat talking beside the Boar's Hat. "Although she does look surprisingly like her. They could be sisters."

Ban cocked his head and a curious look came over his face. "So you really did meet her."

"What, did you think I was lying when I told you that story, Foxy?" Leo shot him a smug smile. However, the smile was quickly replaced by an inquisitive look as she said, "Like I said, the things I could tell he felt for her, I didn't think he'd ever feel for someone else. You humans intrigue and confuse me greatly, Foxy. I don't think I'll ever understand you."

He laughed, a sinister edge lacing the chuckle, and said, "That's not fair, L. You know I'm not like them anymore. Don't lump me together with the human race."

"But you are one of them. You feel the same things in the same way they do. The only difference is that the things that you feel go on forever because of your immortal lifespan."

Their gazes met, and Leo noticed a grimace come across Ban's face at her words. She instantly felt regret and quickly said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean....."

"It's fine." He avoided her gaze and quickened his pace. "Everyone knows about Elaine. You don't have to tiptoe around her." He looked over at her as she came up beside him and lightened his voice, forcing a smile as he ribbed, "So, humans are dumb, and stupid, and let feelings get in the way, even the immortal kind. But how do elves differ? Tell me, princess?"

Leo was caught off guard for a moment, then she said, "Elves do not feel the way humans do. Humans are so transparent. Elves experience emotions like the trees-they reach out with roots and take time, and when they do feel, they feel deeply. They feel for life, but they never, ever let their feelings get in the way of their duties. No matter the circumstances."