Demons

Leo kept pace with Ban as they sprinted through the forest, which was beginning to lighten up with the approach of dawn. They wove through the dark, tight trees, headed toward the start of the clump of forest where Arthur and Meliodas should be stationed.

Leo leapt effortlessly over a fallen tree in her path and lined back up beside Ban. After sitting and waiting all night in position, it felt liberating to exercise her cooped up muscles.

She heard sounds of battle off to their right and veered toward them, Ban following close behind her. As the sounds got louder the closer they got, she was sure they were headed in the direction of the captain and Arthur.

She swerved around a large tree and kept course beside the stream that ran through the forest. It sounded like they were just over that knoll up ahead.

Just as she reached the knoll, she heard Ban yell out to her.

"L, look out!"

She looked upward just as a large crash resounded through the forest and a gigantic tree came falling down toward her. It was too close for her to get out of the way in time. She wouldn't make it.

Suddenly, something smashed into her and sent her flying backward into a tree trunk behind her. Leo realized it was Ban who had pushed her out of the way just in time. He held her against the tree behind them and shielded her with his body as the giant tree came crashing down through the trees and landed where she had been moments before in a cloud of dust and leaves.

When the dust and noise had stopped, Ban pulled back just a bit and glanced over his shoulder. "Damn. That was close." He looked back to Leo and gave her a sly grin. "You're lucky I was here to save your life, L."

"Yeah, well, you owed me from before anyway." Leo retorted back.

They were still pressed against the large tree, Ban standing in front of her, his body against hers, his hands on either side of her head. The smile dropped from his face as he studied her, replaced with an expression she couldn't quite read, and then he leaned into her, putting his lips against her ear as he murmured, "You have no idea what I would do to you right now if we weren't currently in a battle for our lives."

Leo shivered slightly as she felt his hot breath on her skin, her heart pounding like a caged bird in her chest. She was surprised he couldn't hear it with how close they were. She turned her head so that her lips rested lightly against his jaw and then replied in a low voice, "I don't believe I told you I'd let you do anything else beside kiss me, Foxy."

She felt his body shake as he chuckled and then he stepped back from her, running a hand through his hair as he gave her a dangerous wink. "We'll see, L." He glanced to their right, where the sounds of battle still echoed through the trees. "Now come on, we need to get to the captain."

He took off over the knoll, Leo close on his heels. As they came over the crest, they stopped, surveying the situation below them. Meliodas was currently facing off with two giants, and Arthur was across the clearing, dealing with some of their other comrades. Leo guessed they were the same species as the man that Ban had killed earlier. This wasn't good.

Leo lifted her chin toward the captain and then said to Ban, "You go and help the captain. I'll get to Arthur."

He nodded and sprinted past her toward Meliodas and the two battling giants.

Leo took off in the opposite direction, her feet skimming silently over the grass as she sprinted down the hill toward Arthur and the three men. She smirked to herself. This was going to be too easy. The men had their backs to her already. They weren't expecting reinforcements.