Camelot

The next afternoon, Leo trudged along the dusty road, Diane and Elizabeth walking beside her. Her shoulder was almost healed, but it still stung a bit whenever she used her rapier. She glanced ahead of them, to where the road rose over the ridge, and could just start to see the roofs of buildings. That must be Camelot.

Diane spoke up from beside her. "Oh! I can see the city! It's beautiful."

Leo looked over to Elizabeth and gave her a small smile, noting how tired the girl looked. "Excited to get cleaned up in an actual kingdom tonight, princess?"

Elizabeth bobbed her head. "I hate to admit it, but I feel disgusting." She ran a hand through her tangled white hair and gave a small laugh. "I guess I'm not quite used to this nomad lifestyle yet."

"You'll get there. It's not easy not having someplace to call home. It takes time to get acquainted with." Leo said in a gentle voice. She didn't know what it was about this girl, but she pulled her heart in a small way. Maybe it was because Leo had been an only child, and had always wanted a little sister, or maybe it was because she felt a sense of duty to protect the princess. Whatever it was, she liked the girl.

Elizabeth gave her a bright smile and linked arms with her. "Thank you, Leo, for helping me."

Leo was surprised by the contact, but she didn't pull away. The girl's warm, smooth arm against her own almost felt....nice.

Diane spoke up again as they reached the top of the ridge. "Leo, Elizabeth! Look!" She pointed down below them at the gleaming city that had suddenly appeared.

Elizabeth gasped beside her. "It's beautiful!"

Meliodas dropped down from the Boar's Hat, landing softly beside Elizabeth in a cloud of dust. He straightened and gave them all a grin. "I told you you'd like it, Elizabeth."

Leo studied the city for a moment. It was nothing compared to the Elfen Kingdom, but considering not many humans had ever seen her world, she knew they couldn't possibly comprehend the beauty she was used to. However, Camelot wasn't bad, she would give them that. The tall buildings of the center of the kingdom shone in the sun, the white alabaster stone almost glowing in the light. The palace that stood at the center was also made of alabaster, but was adorned with other fine stones that shone different colors against the sky. Surrounding the capitol, there were smaller, still finely crafted buildings, and the village, all the houses arranged in sitely rows, straight, cobbled streets running between them.

Diane ran down the hill, her arms waving in the air, her giant steps shaking the ground. "Come on! What are you waiting for?? We get to see Gowther and Merlin! And take a REAL bath!" She yelled over her shoulder to them as she disappeared down the hill, barreling toward Camelot.

Elizabeth laughed and Meliodas grinned again. He called over to the green Boar, and King and Ban who rode on her back, "Well, you heard her. Let's go to Camelot."

******

Leaving the Boar's Hat on the edges of the kingdom's center, Meliodas led them up the broad stairs to the doors of the castle. As they approached, the giant, hinged gateway swung open and King Arthur stepped out to greet them, flanked by Gowther and Merlin.

Meliodas bowed his head in a respectful greeting to the young king and the rest of them followed suit.

Arthur laughed and stepped forward to clap Meliodas on the back. "Stop that. We're equals here. You saved my life once already, Meliodas. For that, I will be forever in your debt."

They all straightened, and the king glanced over each one of them, his eyes lingering when they fell upon Leo. He gave her a crooked smile. "Well, I see we're all finally here. I'm familiar with all of the other sins, we were comrades in the fight against the Holy Knights, but I believe you've gained a member since last we spoke, Meliodas."

"Oh, you mean Leo." Meliodas glanced over his shoulder at her and motioned for her to come up beside him. She did so, and gave the king an obviously practiced, flawless curtsy.

"King Arthur, I have heard much of you from on our journey from the captain." She said as she straightened, meeting his amused gaze.

He laughed. "All good things, I hope, Lady....." He paused, waiting for her to introduce herself.

"Leonora, your highness. The Lion Sin of Pride." She said curtly. "But that name was from another time. You may simply call me Leo if you so wish."

"It's a pleasure, Leo, Lion Sin of Pride." He studied her for a moment longer and then looked behind her to the rest of her comrades, a smile upon his face again. "Well, you must all be weary from your journey. Please come in. I have some food prepared for you, and then you may clean up and retire if you wish. We will catch you up on our situation and why we need your help so desperately tomorrow. I do not wish to burden my guests on their first day in our beautiful city." He flicked his fingers and a few servants came up from behind him. "Diane, my servants will show you the accommodations we have prepared for you behind the palace, if you so wish."

Diane patted Meliodas on the head. "Be good, captain. See you in the morning." She followed after the servants and soon disappeared behind the walls of the palace courtyard.

Arthur motioned for the rest of them to follow him. "Come with me. I'll show you to the dining room."

Meliodas walked beside Arthur at the front of the group, their heads bent together in conversation. Leo could only assume they were discussing whatever unknown problem it was that Camelot was facing that required their aid.

"Leo! Isn't this palace beautiful?"

Leo was pulled from her thoughts as Elizabeth hurried up beside her, grabbing her arm. Her eyes were large and shiny with admiration as she took everything in around them as they walked through the halls. She couldn't help but laugh at the girl's childish enthusiasm. "Didn't you grow up in a palace, princess?"

Elizabeth blushed and ducked her head. "Yes, but this is much grander than anything I ever grew accustomed to."

Leo glanced over at her and gave her a small smile. "Well, you'd be blown away if you ever experienced the Elven castles in all their grandeur then."

Elizabeth's eyes widened, knowing Leo hardly ever talked about her past. "Are they really that amazing, Leo?" An excited look crossed her face. "I would love to go and see them someday for myself!"

"Hmmm." Leo let out a small scoff. "I don't think I'll ever go back there, but if I do, for whatever reason in the Seven Hells, I'll be sure to take you with me, princess."

They reached the large, spacious dining room and everyone's eyes grew wide at the sight before them. There were tables lining the entire center of the room, and the tables were laden with foods of all kinds, servants hurried back and forth, filling glasses and bringing in even more food from the kitchens.

Leo heard Ban whistle behind her. "Damn. That's a 'little' food?"

Arthur heard him and laughed, motioning to the tables. "Only the best for my guests, Fox Sin of Pride. Please, go ahead. I know you all must be anxious to clean up and retire."

Ban and King dove past the girls, pushing them aside as they grabbed plates and began to shovel food onto them in between taking mouthfuls. Hawk squealed beside Leo's feet. "Think of all the scraps!" He ran to get underneath the table beside Ban and King.

Elizabeth laughed, her eyes sparkling, and looked to Leo, who still stood motionless and silent, watching the others eat. "Well, shall we, Leo? Don't tell me you're going to make me eat alone?"

Leo glanced at her. She didn't have much of an appetite, but she shook her head anyway. "No, princess. I wouldn't dream of it. Let's go, before the boys eat everything."