Chapter 2

Yn's POV

My first day was interesting, but today is even better. The different races are campaigning to win WAC for their specific race. It's seems cool, but the segregation is really weird. Anyways I've been trying to avoid Mendez, but it isn't working.

"Hey Chocolate drop." He says with a creepy smirk.
I just smile and walk away, not trying to give him the time of day.
"Playing hard to get huh?" He asks loudly causing people to stare. I stop in my tracks and turn around slowly.
"No I'm not playing hard to get... I am hard to get because it's never going to happen."
"Why not?" He steps closer to me causing me to back up a little.
"I have a boyfriend." I walk away glancing at some of the women. Poussey was in the bunch and looked disappointed. I did lie about having a boyfriend, but I'm also completely straight, so if she thought she had a chance, she's going to be disappointed.

I know I left Mendez standing there looking stupid but then I hear "What the fuck are you bitches looking at?" I want to punch the shit out of him right now, but I keep walking to the library which is where I'm assigned to monitor. Once I reach the library it's kind of empty. There's only two people in here. The older white lady leaves and the lady I assume is working here is the only one here besides me. I go up to her and introduce myself.

"I'm Tasha, but everybody calls me Taystee." She said.
"Oh you're running for WAC right?" I ask. She nods her head smiling. "I hope you win." I whisper.
"I like you Williams."
"Call me Yn." I say looking at the books on the shelves. She notices me admiring a Harry Potter book on her cart of books that she's putting away.
"We have all of them if you want to read them. We also have all the hungry games books."
"I know where I'm spending most of my time." I laugh causing her to laugh.

The bell then rings for lunch and we go to the cafeteria. The winners are then announced and Taystee won for the black people. That's soooooo weird to say. Anywho I see Poussey walk out the cafeteria and ask her where she's going.
"Just trying to get away from all the noise ya know?"
"Yeah that's understandable. Just don't do anything that will get you thrown into solitary." I say.
She nods. "I got a question."
"Ask away."
"Do you really have a boyfriend or did you just say that to get Mendez off your back?"
"The second one." I smile walking back into the cafeteria.

She's really cute and sweet, but I'm not into girls..... right?

.....

The next day I'm in the library sitting on the floor in the back reading the first Hunger Games and it's really good. I don't normally read, but I have nothing else to do and it's not like a fight is going to break out in the library.

"What you reading?" I look up to see Poussey standing over me smiling and I return the smile.
"Hunger Games." I say patting the floor next to me, "have a seat." She sits next to me.
"It's quiet in here." She says trying to whisper.
I laugh, "It's not always this quiet. Some of the girls come in and plot escapes, gossip, have debates, and sometimes they make assumptions about the outside world and it's funny because most of the time they are very accurate." We both laugh.
"I like how you don't call us inmates."
"Yeah I just feel like it takes away from individuality and uniqueness."
"Yo good looking out. At lease one person in here cares about us. How do you not look at us as criminals?"
"I have a brother who is always going in and out of jail and my uncles were the same way, so I wanted to do this job because I think of everybody as being someone in my family and I wouldn't want them treated like animals so I treat everyone like this is just a..... summer camp or something, ya know?"
"That's deep yo. You ever been incarcerated?"
"No. I was the goodie two shoes. I didn't go to parties, I did all my homework, I got straight A's, and I didn't get my first boyfriend until college."
"Why y'all not still together?" She asked raising her eyebrow.
"Niggas ain't shit. Imma leave it at that." I say making her laugh. She has a heartwarming laugh and her smile is adorable. Ugh! What am I thinking? I'm not even gay🤦🏽‍♀️.

It then starts to get loud over by the tables and Poussey looks at me thinking something is wrong. I peak around the shelf and it's just Sophia, Lorna, and the Sister discussing the Bible. "It's nothing they're discussing the Bible, I think." I reassure Poussey causing her to nod.
"You know you're really beautiful and whoever the nigga was he didn't deserve you." She says.
"Thanks P. You're not out of bounds are you?"
"Nah, I start working in her tomorrow."
"Good." I smile. "I don't want you to get in trouble." She smiles back.

I hope I don't end up falling for this girl.