Chapter 9

Yn's POV

Poussey has been off lately and whenever I bring it up she says it's nothing, but it's definitely something. I approach Taystee and ask her where P is and she suggests that I go to the library. That makes a lot of sense. Don't know why I didn't think of that🤦🏽‍♀️.

I go to the library and Poussey is in the back of the library drinking her hooch.
"Hey P. Are you okay?" I ask sitting next to her.
"Yeah *hiccup* well no I'm not okay." She says without looking at me.
"What's wrong?"
"I'm in prison, you can't possibly love an inmate." She slurs her words.
"I do P and you said you love me too." I say on the verge of tears.
"Well I don't. All I wanted to do was fuck. I got what I want... multiple times, so I'm satisfied."
"Are you serious right now? Baby you're drunk you don't mean that." I say letting a tear fall. She just side eyes me and continues drinking her hooch.
"Alright. I see how it is." I get up and walk out. I really need a break from this place. I go to Caputo's office and ask for a couple days off. Thankfully he gave me two days off with pay. I don't even care about getting paid but that's nice. I just need to clear my head.

2 Days Later

It's my last day off and I really don't want to go back tomorrow, but I have to. My phone starts ringing and I don't recognize the number, but I answer it anyway.

"An inmate from the Newark Correctional Facility is trying to contact you. Press 1 to accept." I roll my eyes and press 1 to answer the phone.
"What do you want?" I already know who it is.
"I miss you. You're the only person who truly gets me."
"Mmmhm."
"Don't be like that babygirl. You know I love you."
"Whatever Chris. You don't act like you love me. What the hell did you do now?"
"Same old shit. Drugs and shit like that. Do you still love me?"
"I don't know." I sigh, "Can I talk to you as a friend? And promise you won't get mad or anything."
"Yeah what's up?"
"So there's this person who I have developed feelings for and we fooled around a couple times and a couple days ago this person told me that all they wanted to do was fuck and that was it."
"Do you love this person?"
"Yes."
"Did this person say they love you?"
"Yes."
"Then she still loves you." My eyes get big when he says she. "Yeah I know it's a female." He laughs. "I always said shit to get you to stop loving me because of my lifestyle. A girl like you shouldn't have been around a nigga like me. I was trying to protect you, so maybe she's doing the same."
"You probably right. She got busted for drugs like you and she's still in there."
"You was fucking her while you was at work? Damn you bold." He laughs.
"It's not funny Christopher." I pause for a second. "Wait a minute she was drunk. People normally tell the truth when their drunk."
"First of all, what's up with the government names? I'm just saying, you don't just say you love somebody and not mean it. If you do you're fucked up in the head. Just talk to her Yn."
"I will. Thanks Chris. When do you get out?"
"In a couple days. They can never find anything to keep me longer."
"Ok hit me up when you get out."
"Will do. Talk to you later." He hangs up.

I had a lot to think about. Nobody makes me cry and she did just that. I'm so mad I can't sleep. Another sleepless night.

The next day

I get to work and of course the first person to see me is Poussey. Just my luck ughhh.