Lorcan and Lysander

But it wasn't as easy as they had thought. With Filch no longer present for the school security, a lot of students were out past curfew. They had all stayed up so late in the common room until they had annoyed Cassandra enough for her to forbid any of them out of their respective dormitories after 8 so Maybelle and Lily were on their own, as were Hugo and Lorcan.

Well, really, they saw each other all the time, during the day but they could never really use the Marauders Map in broad daylight, in case of being caught.

The real problems came though, when Hugo ended up in the hospital wing. It was nearing Christmas vacation and most of the investigation had been put to rest because they were all going home for the holidays.

In a terrible flying accident, Hugo had fallen off his broom during flying lessons. He was out for about 3 days and had a broken arm and rib. So, Lily told her parents she wanted to stay behind with him, and they had let her.

Then, Lorcan told her he was staying too.

"No, Lorcan, you should go home and see your family. Its not like we'll get any work done anyways, not with Hugo in the hospital." She told him one night as they walked back to the common room from the Hospital Wing, Hugo had just woken up.

"Oh, no, I'm not exactly staying for you. Our mum.. she doesn't want us to come home, because things are bad, and she doesn't want us to be around their fighting during Christmas.." Lorcan replied. Lily's life was nearly picture perfect, and because of that, she often forgot other families went through anything.

"FIghting?" She asked, timidly. She didn't want to talk about it if he didn't, but Luna and Rolf seemed so good for each other, whenever she'd been around them, she was honestly confused as to why they would fight, and why they would let it interfere with their children's lives.

Apparently this topic was uncomfortable for Lorcan, because he stiffened slightly beside her, and Lily wanted to take it back, but he was already talking. "They've been fighting a lot. About everything, it seems. They have been for a long time, but now it's getting worse. Lorcan and I spent most of the summer at our grandfather's with out mum because things were bad, but they won't tell us why they're fighting. They try to act like it's okay, even when I call them out on it."

Lily let the conversation drop. When they got to the common room, it's emptiness reminded Lily it was past curfew. Even Cassandra was probably in bed. The nurse had let them stay late, so they would be there when Hugo woke and even allowed the two to stay with him half an hour after that.

"Hey, wanna check the map?" Lily asked, already pulling it out of her robes.

"I solemnly sware I am up to no good." She repeated and once again the ink spilled onto the page. The castle was mostly empty. A few professors wandered around and then, "Lysander Scamander!" Lily exclaimed, pointing to the footprints that disappeared.

"He's gone to the Forbidden Forest!" Lorcan exclaimed, stricken with grief. "Why Lysander!? Why would you do this?"

"Hey. We don't know—" Lily tried.

"Stop standing up for him, Lily! He's going into the Forbidden Forest! How can you even pretend, for my sake, to believe he's innocent!?" Lorcan cried.

"Shhh!" Lily warned. "And I'm not pretending. What do you think popped into James' head when he saw us in the Forbidden Forest? Cause you may think he thought we were doing.. who knows what! Whatever your thinking Lysander is up to right now. But James didn't accuse us of anything because I'm his sister and he loves and trusts me. You should trust your brother." Lily told him.

"Well. I guess we'll just have to see won't we?" He declared.

At a time like this, Lily desperately wished James had stolen her father's invisibility cloak, as well. Leaving the castle would be so much easier with it. Instead the two had to stick to the shadows and get lost so as to not be found.