The Offer

" The nerve of him!" I exclaimed to Hugo ad we returned to our compartment. I was still full of anger and ranting seemed like a good idea. " He thinks he's in charge of me!"

"I don't think that's what he thinks, Lily," Hugo argued. "I think he's just being cautious. He's protecting his little sister. I wish Rose cared about me like he does you."

I looked at him, becoming honestly annoyed just by his presence. "Since when was this about you?" The look on his face was so ridiculous, I wanted to laugh, until I realized it was hurt.

" Oh, Hugo," I said, anger instantly gone. " I'm so sorry. I didn't mean that.. it's just.. it's Albus.. he bugs me.. I'm cautious, really, but I'm also nice. My morals simply won't allow me to let a girl be alone and friendless because you guess base her purity of her parentage."

Hugo nodded. " Okay," he said, not in agreement but in submission.

We got back to the compartment to find Maybelle and Haley had really hit out off. Lorcan and Lysander looked extremely uncomfortable.

"Guys!" Maybelle greeted. "Haley knows what soccer is!" She exclaimed. Maybelle had spent the past year relentlessly trying to explain a muggle sport called soccer to us. Maybelle wasn't a muggle-born, but her father was a big fan of the game.

" You guys have seriously never heard of soccer?" Haley, asked, amazed.

"I was raised with Quidditch," I shrugged. "My brother is captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team."

"As if she doesn't know..!" Lorcan exclaimed. "James is the best player in all of Hogwarts!!" Unfortunately, Lorcan shared his mother's.. enthusiasm? No, obsession, with Quidditch.

I cut Lorcan's fangirling off because Haley was more staring out the window, with a look of distress. "Haley?" I asked. "Are you okay?" Even the boys looked concerned.

She sighed. " It's just.. I was raised in what muggles call foster care. When I found out I was a witch.. I was utterly amazed.. My dad.. I've never met him. He's.. he's in prison, Azkaban. I don't know my mum..

" And now, after, the best year of my life, I'm going to be tossed into some foster home that the ministry sees fit to burden with a magical child. No doubt they'll shun me for what I am.." She sighed.

The room was intensely quiet. This stranger had just opened up to us. I knew more about her home life now than Maybelle's.

I thought of the Dursleys. My 'family' that 'took in' my father after my grandparents died. They were muggles and they were so cruel to him. I didn't want anyone to go through that.

"Oh," Maybelle exclaimed. " That's terrible..! I couldn't even imagine-!"

Then, the words came flowing out of my mouth before I could stop them. " Spend the summer at my house!"