Breakthrough

I lied down for a while, just starting at the wall, petting Everey. I started to think about my dad. Why was I so.. hurt by his actions? It was obvious he just cared about me.

You're so oblivious and selfish sometimes, Lily. He's only trying to protect his only daughter.

I started to drift off after that. I wasnt actually positive if I had fallen asleep at all, but I became aware of my surroundings once again. Everey was hissing.

I opened my eyes to see her with her back arched and her tail puffed. She was making that terrifying cat growl and it looked like she was staring at something behind me.

My suspicion was proved when I heard almost silent footsteps and a whispered: "Shhh.." I would have to move quick.

In a moment, I grabbed my wand and swung my arm towards the intruder. "Expelliarmus!" I screamed, and a bright-haired boy went flying backwards.

I scrambled over with my wand, pointing it at him. " Which one are you!?" I yelled as Hugo burst through the door.

"Lily! Stop! It's Lorcan, how would Lysander even get in here!? And he's wearing Ravenclaw robes!" Hugo exclaimed.

I looked down at Lorcan, his black robes with the crest of Ravenclaw clearly printed on them. He looked terrified, but mostly, in pain. "Lorcan, I am so sorry!" I exclaimed, helping him up. "I didn't know-"

Lorcan shook his head. "No it's alright, that was stupid, I shouldn't have snuck up on you. Come to think of it, I'm surprised I'm still alive." He chuckled.

I giggled. "So why are you guys in here?" I asked. " Guys aren't exactly supposed to be in the girls' dorm." I reminded them.

" We were worried about you, Lily.." Hugo replied. "I mean.. you spend all your time in the library studying ancient wizards and Hogwart's history. Somehow, your still passing all your classes.. We think you're exhausting yourself, Lily."

" Oh, come on guys, I'm-" I started.

"Lily, your skipping dinner so that you can sleep. When you wake you'll only be hungry, but you'll have homework to finish. But how can you do that homework if you are off investigating dementors, or exploring the Forbidden Forest?" Hugo replied, eyes full of concern.

" All we are saying, Lily," Lorcan interjected. " is that you need to take a break. We'll worry about dark wizards. You go down to dinner, eat, then, when you get back, go to bed."

I felt like a child. Not controlling my day's schedule, but following the allotted times people picked for me. The sad thing was, they were right. So, I made my way down to dinner.

~

I opened the letter that was clearly from my father. It had been almost a month since he left. This was the tenth letter he had sent with no reply. Hedwig was too old for such travel so at least 7 were delivered by Ash. The poor guy was exhausted.

It was just another letter telling me to be careful, don't meddle, and to trust the teachers. Mum had included a P.S. note that I wouldn't doubt dad didn't know about.

"Lily, sweetheart, follow your heart. Just be careful. We love you do much, we want you safe. Will you be coming back for Easter break next month? Oh my, time is flying.

Love, Mum"

I smiled. Time was flying. School was easy, and Lorcan and Hugo had let me continue to work on the project. But there was much more to work on.

Until Today.

We had just finished our charms homework and were walking back to our common room. The corridors were eeriely empty. Maybelle had turned in early so it was just Lorcan, Hugo and me.

Lorcan was continuing on with his usual chatter when Hugo stopped walking. We all followed his lead, falling silent.

A fluff of white fur was sprawled out on the ground. It was stained with red. Blood. I felt silent tears stream down my face. It was Maybelle's cat, Jinx. She had gotten it for Christmas.

"I- is it..?" I asked, unable to say the last word.

Hugo and Lorcan both nodded. I couldn't help it. I opened my mouth and let out a scream, before breaking down into sobs.

" Lily!" It was Albus. He was running towards me, followed by Scorpius.

" Whoa.. Is that a cat? And it's-" Scorpius started.

" Shut up!" Al warned him, hugging me tight. " It's alright, Lily.. Come on, stand up," He coaxed. I was sobbing too much. I did not like death. Of any creature.

" Hugo," Scorpius demanded. " You and, Lysander? What the hell, why are you in Ravenclaw robes? Ok, whatever, figure that out later, go get Madam Pomfrey."

" I'm Lorcan!" Lorcan protested, but he went with Hugo, who knew better than to defy Scorpius.

Albus slid his arms under me, straining to pick me up. Al was a book kid. Not exactly a buff man.

" Hey, what the bloody hell do you think you're doing?" Scorpius asked. "Set her down. She's fine."

"Fine!?" Al argued. "Scorpius look at her. She's traumatized! I'm taking her to Madam Pomfrey." He shifted me in his arms, trying to get a better hold.

" And won't it be just grand when she's not there, but roaming the corridors searching for us." Scorpius said, taking me into his arms with a much better grip than Al had. He set me back down and his face came through the blur of tears.

Albus was standing back but looked furious.

"Albus. Scorpius. Move aside." Madam Pomfrey was suddenly in front of me. "I am seeing you and your friends too frequently, Lily." She said, shaking her head with a small smile. " You're going to be fine dear.

"Scorpius, help Lily to the hospital wing, please, Albus, can I trust you to get Hagrid up here to deal with." She gestured to the cat.

"Hagrid's back!?" Albus exclaimed. Hagrid, unfortunately, was absent. That's why he wasn't present for the journey across the lake. My father expected he would be away for a year. Turns out he was back early.

" Yes. Now, I trust you won't get hung up on that and focus on getting him here. Ravenclaws. Please return to your common room." Madam Pomfrey ordered as Al took off for Hagrid.

I felt myself lifted off the ground. "I'm not leaving Lily!" Hugo said.

One " Hugo." from Scorpius was all it took to get him out of there. My sobs died down and I soon realized my face was buried in Scorpius' chest. I wiped my eyes as an excuse to save myself from more embarrassment.

That night, I had trouble sleeping. I drifted in and out frequently. Not sure what was real and what wasn't.

One conversation I really hoped wasn't was between a gruff voice, unmistakably Hagrid's, and a firm female's, Madam Pomfrey.

" Do you know what killed the creature?" Madam Pomfrey had asked.

"Sure do," Hagrid replied. Then he lowered his voice. " We got a bit 'o a problem 'ere in Hogwarts. The bites are unmistakable. Werewolf."

And that was all I remembered. My dreams were filed with rabid, disgusting, human-like wolves.