Part 27 "Hic"

The car windscreen shattered on impact and the airbags were released as the crashed into the liquor store. The sound of bottles smashing the the smell of wine was intoxicating. Beth could hear screams then someone calling out to call 911. Beth tried to look at Kelly but her neck hurt.

BETH: Kelly!

There was no answer. The airbag was constricting her movements.

BETH: Kelly, are you awake?

There was a large piece of shelving sticking through the windscreen and it was pressing against Kelly's head. There was blood pouring down his face.

BETH: Oh my god! (crying)

Still no answer. Beth felt dizzy and sick, feeling helpless she just had to sit and wait on the ambulance arriving.

TIME: 10.00PM

PLACE: Chicago Med

After being rushed into hospital, Doctor Will Halstead and Ethan Choi were first to have a look at them. Beth only had minor whiplash and Kelly was more serious. He still hadn't woken up.

BETH: How long will he be unconscious for?

WILL: Beth, I don't know. We're taking him up for CT and MRI scans.

ETHAN: We'll know more then

BETH: It must be serious?

WILL: It's standard procedure Beth, just to make sure there's no swelling on his brain. Did you phone your Mom?

BETH: Yeah. She's on her way over. I phoned Shaylynn too but there was no answer.

Kelly was being wheeled past her in a gurney

BETH: Can I go up with him?

WILL: No, you sit here and wait for your Mom. I'll come get you when we're finished

He squeezed her arm then walked away following Kelly. Beth was busy scratching her neck because of the brace she was wearing. She decided to remove it but Ethan caught her.

ETHAN: Beth! You need to leave that on!

BETH: Tut!

FREYA: Beth!

Beth turned to see her Mom. Alan and a younger man were walking beside her

FREYA: Where's Kelly?

BETH: Up getting a couple of scans, he's still unconscious.

FREYA: Oh god, I take it you have whiplash then?

BETH: Yeah, and this thing is making me hot and sweaty and it's making me itch!

Beth noticed Ethan walking away so she took it off

FREYA: You shouldn't take that off Beth!

BETH: I own half of this hospital with the amount of donations I've made, I can do what I want!

They all sat down. Beth looked at the younger man who was smiling at her.

ALAN: This is Daniel, my son!

BETH: Hi there!