Will I Ever Make A Sound? (Part 3) {Treebros}

The first thing Evan heard was yelling.

His body felt heavy as he slowly opened his eyes, a blurry field coming into view. Everything was bright and out of focus, but they were slowly coming back. He faintly remembered Ellison and an empty bottle of pills, and a passerby on the phone, but that was it.

Connor was sitting next to him, holding his hand. Why was he doing that?

He felt pain shoot up and through his body, as he tried to sit up, but nurses rushed to his side, and made him lay back down. Evan let out a sigh, and focused on looking around instead.

There wasn't anything exciting about his room, but it had a tv, so that was a bonus. He watched the nurses test his vitals, ask him questions, and when did Connor get so far away from him?

All he knew was that he was tired as hell. He supposed a coma would do that to someone, he supposed. Evan wanted to sleep again, but he had people visiting. Sleep could wait, right?

Evan looked at Connor, who stepped out of the room, and was replaced by his parents, Larry and Cynthia. Cynthia looked immensely relieved. Larry looked genuinely happy.

"Thank goodness you're alright," Cynthia said, sitting next to him.

"Welcome back, sport," Larry smiled.

"How long was I out?" Evan yawned.

"Almost a month," Cynthia frowned. "I just- I don't know what could've drove you to this.."

Evan looked away from her, "N-no one likes me."

It was Larry's time to frown. "Now Evan, that isn't-"

"But it I-is! I don't- I can't talk to people, I b-break down easily, I have no friends! I'm a l-loser," Evan explained.

"Don't call yourself that," Cynthia's voice wavered.

"Oh wait, sorry, it's f-freak," tears filled Evan's eyes. He shut them.

Cynthia looked at Larry, completely lost. Of course, they'd talked to the school about the bullying problem, but without evidence, they didn't do anything. They mainly did it because Evan cried when he had to do a presentation in fifth grade. They tried transferring him for middle school, but he had another break down, and so they hoped things had cooled down by then, so they brought him back.

"We're going to help you. I'm not going to make the same mistake again," Cynthia whispered, standing up. "C'mon Larry, I think a nurse mentioned a magazine on anxiety.."

The two left the room without another word.

Connor came in next. He sat next to him slowly. "How're you feeling?"

"Why don't you hate me?" Evan blurted out, turning his head to look at Connor. He needed to know.

Connor spoke slowly, "I never did. The.. the Evan in my letter.. it was a different Evan."

"I still t-took it from you," Evan muttered, desperately trying to keep his eyes dry.

"It was just a misunderstanding. I don't hold it against you," Connor said, matter-of-factly.

Evan just nodded slowly, yawning.

Connor got up, "I'll leave so you can sleep. You don't mind if I.. come back, do you?"

"I don't mind," he smiled, shutting his eyes.

"Then I'll see you tomorrow," Connor smiled, before leaving the room.

Evan let sleep take him away.

~*~

The next day, Connor arrived in the afternoon, holding a chocolate milkshake in his hands.