A Steady Beat {Treebros}

Evan wasn't a huge fan of jazz band, but he always enjoyed the magic their music brought into the auditorium.

The school's jazz band was most likely one of the most underrated activities, when it came to attendances at concerts, and if Evan could actually talk to people, he'd try to convince them to go. Unfortunately, he only had Jared, who at multiple times, voiced his disinterest for the band.

The auditorium, Evan noticed, was filled with parents and young siblings, and some friend groups who probably had nothing better to do that evening, as they chatted away and tapped at their phones. That was what was so irritating to Evan, was that they didn't show any regard for the people performing whatsoever. They didn't come because they cared, they came for something to post about on Instagram or Twitter, make a fake post that was among the lines of 'Going to see the Jazz Band tonight! So excited!', and then talk all throughout the show. Evan knew this because he went to all of the concerts that year, and it wouldn't change in the spring of Junior Year, because why would it? He actually made an effort to go to every single concert because the Jazz Band needed his small ticket price of four dollars. He even had to talk to Doctor Sherman about not having therapy on certain Friday's because that's when Jazz Band had their concert, and he'd be damned if he missed it. Ironically, Doctor Sherman was proud of him for going out and being social, which well, wasn't entirely true, but talking to the guy at the entrance was enough, right? It totally was.

The band came out exactly at seven, prompting Evan to quickly shut off his phone as chatter declined. The band director began to talk about the pieces, and while Evan didn't recognize any of them, he had to admit, they sounded interesting.

Set off to the left of the Jazz Band seats were Zoe Murphy, with her electric guitar swung across her shoulders, as she plucked each and every note out of the guitar with ease. She had her hair set up in a ponytail so it wouldn't fall in her face, and since all jazz band players had to dress semi formal, she wore a long, jean skirt, and a yellow dress shirt  that sported a few flowers threaded near her shoulders.

But the real treasure was Connor Murphy, seated at a drum set, controlling the pace of the song with every beat of his drum, with his purple button up, and black dress pants, but what really set him apart from Zoe was that he let his hair run free as he banged enthusiastically and happily on his set. He blended both into the background and band's melody perfectly, almost too perfectly, because Connor was beautiful, with his long, almond colored hair, sharp features and soft eyes. Despite the cruel and unforgiving reputation he'd earned at their school, Evan couldn't help but like him, because whenever he played his drums, he saw an entirely different person, just letting everything out on the plastic and drumheads, with a smile, nevertheless.

The band director was back, snapping his fingers while tapping his foot, establishing the tempo for the first piece. Evan could hear him say quietly, "A one, a two, a one, two  three four..."

Notes and melodies began to fill the auditorium, trumpets popping harmonies, and saxophones slurred rhythms, while the trombones bobbed the harmony line, Zoe complimented the tune with plucks from her guitar, and Connor maintained the tempo, keeping it consistent and steady.

It was one of the few things that was consistent about Connor. That guy was always different, every single day, sometimes walking into his Algebra II class with a smile, while other days he'd be yelling at their bitch of an english teacher, who taught the Junior class.

He was a hurricane of emotions, and no matter how hard Evan tried, he could never find consistency with him.

Evan, however, needed consistency. It helped him formulate plans as to what to say or talk about. It was just... helpful for his anxiety, despite the fact that nothing ever played out as well formulated as it did in his head, and just left him wishing he could've said more, but he lacked the courage to do so.