ONE

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

the air was thick with tension, so thick she felt as though she could cut it with a knife

the air was thick with tension, so thick she felt as though she could cut it with a knife. her eyes fell on the ground, refusing to make eye contact with the man she now knew as her uncle. the way his voice had given away his disgust as did the look in his eyes made her feel small and foolish. she could feel his eyes boring into her, and she didn't dare to look up from the floor. he was terrifying to say the least, much different than her mother, who was selfless and kind. she could see why the two of them were never close growing up.

"draco and narcissa should be here any minute." lucius spoke, his voice chillingly calm. marcella brought her eyes up from the ground, focusing them on the dining room they stood in. she remembered the conversation at the train station where he had picked her up from. her uncle had introduced himself, not trying hard to hide his obvious disdain towards her. she knew her mother had family in another country, but to be quite frank, she didn't expect to ever meet them. and she definitely didn't expect them to be so hostile. it was a surprise to receive the letter from her uncle, asking her to stay at his place and finish school at hogwarts. it was especially surprising to find that he didn't seem to enjoy having her there despite his invitation.

"i will not be associating with that muggle-raised witch you call my cousin." marcella felt her lips fall down at the corners, feeling even more belittled as the voice grew louder. she shuffled uncomfortably and fiddled with the charm bracelet that her mother had bought her for birthday.

"draco! she is a pure-blood witch and she has the malfoy name. you'll treat her with respect as you would any malfoy." the voice seemed kinder than lucius and draco's did. marcella felt a little better, knowing that at least one person in this house didn't despise her.

lucius chuckled wryly at narcissa's comment, clearly not agreeing nor planning to follow what she said. marcella clenched her jaw, growing irritated with the lack of respect around there. she was a pure-blood witch and even though it meant nothing to her, it meant everything to the other malfoys so she didn't understand why they disliked her.

the door opened a few minutes after narcissa's words, bringing her eyes to the teenage boy and the beautiful woman beside him. draco's eyes fell on her and his face scrunched up in disgust, lifting his chin as if he was better than her. marcella rolled her eyes and smiled at the woman beside him. narcissa slowly made her way towards her niece, holding out her arms to the girl. marcella stiffened a bit, only knowing the gentle touch of her mother and the few friends she had back in ilvermorny. after a few awkward seconds, narcissa stepped back and gave her a smile that came out as sort of a grimace. she had a feeling that this woman wasn't all that nice to others much.

"marcella, is it?" the girl in question nodded, feeling the scornful eyes of lucius and draco watching her. she shot them a glance and a chill ran down her back at how terrifying they looked. two men, who had quite similar features, standing there with the same disgusted look on their faces. marcella snapped her eyes back to narcissa.

"yes, ma'am. it's nice to meet you." her voice broke slightly from how nervous she was and she cleared her throat, feeling even smaller in the room. narcissa noticed this and called out to someone. the small patter of feet came from behind her and marcella jumped as an elf walked past her, stopping in front of the older woman.

"she doesn't even know what a house-elf is. this is just insulting at this point." draco spat and marcella held her ground, staring him down with a daring look. he didn't back down, only let the disdain on his face grow more.

"we don't have slaves where i lived, cousin. we did our own work, have you ever done that?" that angered draco and he clenched his fists, taking a step towards her threateningly. she gave him a smug look before looking down as the elf tried to pick up her things. "no, no, let me get that!"

lucius and narcissa gasped in unison, while draco snickered in her direction. the elf shook his head, terror filling his eyes at the way his masters seemed to be shocked. marcella noticed this and let the elf carry her stuff away, letting her glance fall on her aunt and uncle.

"i don't know what kind of place you grew up in, but here, the elves do the work. you will let them to it and all will be well." lucius gave her a warning look, his eyes cold and scornful. marcella gave him a nod and narcissa cleared her throat, placing a hand on her niece's shoulder gently.

"let me show you to your room." the girl smiled gratefully and let her aunt lead her upstairs. before she was out of earshot, she heard draco speak to his father.

"was that an american accent? she definitely doesn't fit in here. i'll be the laughing stock of hogwarts if i associate with her!" she wrinkled her nose, feeling insecure about the way she spoke. she knew she differed from her family but she didn't think she would get picked on because of it.

"you'll make sure she's settled down when school starts back up again, and you'll keep her out of harms way." lucius' words shocked her but it sounded like there was a deeper meaning to what he was saying. she shivered in fear before moving to catch up with her aunt. the woman led her down a hallway, just as dark and eerie as the rest of the mansion. she tried to remember how to get downstairs from this hall, but everything seemed the same and she knew it would be a struggle to find her way around.

"this will be your room." narcissa stopped at a dark wooden door and turned the doorknob, pushing her way inside. marcella followed in suit, her eyes scanning over the beautiful room. it was extravagant, much like the rest of the house. and it was then, as she stood in the middle of the way too nice room, she realized just how much she didn't fit in with her family.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

this is very bad, i'm sorry i hope it'll get better

STARTED:                 FINISHED:
       june 24, 2019                to be determined