chapter 3

The rest of week goes by slowly. My car still hadn't been fixed because my dad had been busy. I was still getting looks from Donovan. He never backed off and always kept his eyes on me. It's finally Friday at the end of the day and Alex and I are heading to my house. We head into the recording room which we also use as the practice room. The music is sitting on the desk. I slowly look through the pile until Alex points at one of them while looking over my shoulder.

"I like that one the most" he says with a smile.

"Me too...it was written for my mom."

"Do you wanna practice that one first then?"

"Sure..."

We head into the booth and sit down on the floor. I spread out the music and start practicing. Alex sings along to my dad's part until we finish the song.

"That sounds great" says my dad who was spying on us outside the booth.

"Why were you listening?!"

My dad must've turned off the microphone. He just starts making movements and pointing to his ears while shrugging.

"Dad!" I yell again. Finally I open up the door, "I said why were you listening!"

"Because I thought it sounded good."

My dad could be impossible sometimes and so annoying. He finally just walks out leaving Alex and I alone again.

We stand there in silence until Alex says, "So...I was wondering."

"Wondering what?"

"I wanted to know if you would like to come to church with me on Sunday."

"I'll have to make sure we aren't recording or practicing."

"Oh you don't have to if you don't want to."

"Oh trust me I want to. I'll come I just have to check with my dad first."

"Okay, well I gotta head home now so I'll see you Sunday."

"See ya."

Alex leaves and I just move to the small couch that was outside of the booth. I keep on looking over the music. I look up when my dad walks back in.

Be for my dad can say anything I quickly say, "Alex invited me to come to church with him on Sunday."

"Then we'll just have to make sure we start recording at least one of the songs tomorrow. I'll ask Benjamin to come in tomorrow so we can start."

"Whos Benjamin?"

"He's the one who helps record. You've meet him before."

"Oh that guy!" He was the guy with the brown almost black hair and a smile I had always hated.

"Well I'm going to go have dinner if you want to come get some."

I quickly jump up and go get some dinner with my dad. I practice a bit more with my dad and then go to bed.

The next day I get a break from practicing until after lunch. Then we go into the sound booth while Benjamin sits on the rolly chair. He gives us a thumbs up and we start. We end up having to go back a few times and re-sing parts over again. We take a break for dinner and then start right back up again.

Around midnight we had finally gotten one song recorded that was meant for me and my dad. I sit on the small couch while Benjamin and my dad talk. They play the song that we had recorded and then start talking. I decided to let my eyes rest for a while but that turned into a long while.

When I open back up my eyes while being shaken by Alex. No one else was in the room and I wasn't sure when he had gotten here.

"You lucky I came extra early. You have fifteen minutes so I would get going."

That's when it hit me. I had totally forgotten that I told Alex that I would come to church with him. I quickly get up and run upstairs. I quickly get changed into a cream colored lace dress. I slide on some sandals and go running down the stairs. I almost slam into Alex but he puts his arms out to stop me.

"You ready to go?" he asks me.

"Nope."

I go running into the kitchen where I grab my phone and something to eat. Once I finish I go with Alex out to his truck. We climb in and start heading to the church.

"Could you keep my phone with you? I have nowhere to put it and I don't want to lose it," I say as we pull into a parking spot.

"Yeah sure."

He takes my phone after I put it on silence and sticks it in his jacket pocket. We both get out of his truck and head inside. We just barely made it on time and they were just starting. We sit down at on of the side benches and I see his dad next to Officer Moore at the front of the room.

"Sorry I made you late..."

"Oh it's fine I'm just glad you came."

I was still completely exhausted from last night since we stayed up till two or three in the morning. At least two of those hours were spent editing the song. I lean onto Alex and pull up my feet. I make sure the dress stays a bit past my knees. Alex puts his arm around me and leans into the wall beside him. I could feel my eyes getting heavier until I fall asleep.

I wake up to Alex slightly shaking me. I look up so see him smiling. I sit up rubbing my eyes like it would help me wake up more.

"Sorry I fell asleep..."

"Its okay. I kinda figured that would happen once you laid your head down on me. How late did you stay up anyway?"

"Till about two or three in the morning but we fished recording one of the songs."

"Then do you wanna just go home and get some sleep?"

"No I can, stay it's fine."

I stand up and Alex just sits there watching me. Finally he follows and stands up two. He shows me to where the class is. After the classes we go to find his dad. We finally find him with Officer Moore by the office.

"I'm going to bring Olivia home."

"Okay, you two be safe."

"We will!"

I follow Alex quietly down the hall and then out to his truck. We climb in and head straight to my house. I get a text from my dad saying that he had to go with Benjamin to go over a few things. I try the best I can to stay awake but eventually I fall asleep.