8

This must be odd, receiving an email from someone you don't know. Wait, no, never mind. You probably get emails from strangers all the time. I apologize if I'm taking time out of your already busy life.

Anyway,

I've heard a lot about you from my brother for years now and a lot from tabloids looking to harm you emotionally. I know that you are associated with my brother in some way and I need a favor from you. I understand if you think you shouldn't do favors for someone like me because you're Talia Kozma and I'm just an 18-year-old girl still figuring life out. I would like to fly out to New York City with my mum and brother, Harry, to meet up with Ashton. Mum and Ash aren't talking, but I know they miss each other. The silence is terrible and I hate it. I want things to go back to normal. Mum won't talk to Ash and Ash probably won't agree to meet with mum. So, that's where you come in. We could be a dynamic duo, I truly believe it. I would tell mum that we're going for vacation in NYC, you'll tell Ash you're taking him to dinner. Dinner will be where we meet up and have the two sit and talk out their problems. It's the only situation I can think of that will work. If you have anything better let me know. I'm hoping you respond back or else I'm going to feel so embarrassed.

Sincerely,

Lauren Irwin

~

Dear Lauren,

Thank you for reaching out to me. I can say that I'm quite surprised and even happy to see your name in my inbox. Much so, that your email is the first I've read and responded to today.

I've heard a lot about you as well from Ashton. He's always spoken very highly of you, your brother, and your mom. I cannot imagine how he feels going through something like this or how he's managing without his mom. If my mother wasn't speaking to me because of terrible decision I've made, I'd be lost. I know Ash misses your mom greatly, he's at his loneliest point right now because she hasn't reached out to him. I am all for your plan! It would work, though I might feel a bit awkward sitting there, watching their conversation happen as I don't know your mom personally. Perhaps, you, I, and Harry could do something of our own after leaving the two to talk? I've always wanted to get to know you two, but timing has just been a little weird.

Please send a text message to the following number: 212-856-4836

We can work out the details that way.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Talia Kozma

=

Unknown number: Hey! It's Lauren

Me: Hello!

Lauren: It's super late here but I got really excited when I saw you responded to my email and I just HAD to send a text

Me: Please get some sleep Lauren!

Lauren: There's no time for sleep now!

Lauren: I would love to to do something of our own while mum and Ash talk. Harry might want to hide out at the hotel (he's going through his hermit stage). Nonetheless hanging out with only you would be nice.

Me: We'll just have to bribe Harry with something fun then!

Me: Have you picked out a date that you'd like to fly up?

Lauren: August 30th

Me: If that's a positive date, then I can go ahead and book your flights and hotel!

Lauren: Oh gosh no. I can't let you pay for either, I know we have money to pay for the trip. Ash used to give us a bit of his earnings before mum started ignoring him.

Me: Just think of it as a little gift from me to you guys.

=

As I locked my phone, I pressed it against my lips, closing my eyes, and smiling softly to myself. Progress was what I felt as if I was making it. I felt incredible doing something nice for the first time in awhile for someone that really did deserve it.

And maybe I thought Ashton deserved it so he could be on his way back to his mother and away from me and we wouldn't have to deal with each other anymore. I basically wanted the easy way out from all this mess and wanted to be right back on my way to taking New York over one clink of a heel at a time.

=

Tessa: Hi babeeeeeee. Up for an appearance tonight?

Me: What for?

Tessa: New club opening. Mikey's going so feel free to take Ash along with you.

Me: Probably gonna turn down the offer. I feel so distant from the kids and my mother at the moment. Really want to spend time with them, especially Jack now that he's older.

Tessa: Understandable. Family first!

=

I stared back at the wallpaper of my phone; a photo of the three kids that were more important to me than any appearance, any item of clothing, and any ounce of happiness. Only a few months had passed since taking them in and they were my life. They were my own and I loved them like they were my own and I would keep repeating that until those who were still doubtful about me taking on the task were finally sure of me.

It seemed as if my phone was going off nonstop with texts, maybe I was more popular than I thought I ever was.

=

Alya: So bummed that you won't be going out with us tonight! :(

Sasha: I AM OUTRAGED

Tessa: GUYS! Haha, leave her alone.

Alya: We're just messing with her. We know T has other priorities.

Sasha: *cough cough* Ashton...

Me: Absolutely not.

Sasha: Bullshit :)

Me: We'll get together for dinner soon. Just us girls. Yeah?

Tessa: Sounds good!

Alya: Down!

Sasha: Just let me know when ;)