Chapter Three- Grady

Walking into the library, Grady let his eyes adjust before spotting Miah in the farthest table. He was afraid to approach him but also wanted to make sure he was okay. After he ran out after dropping the plate, Grady had run after him but he was already gone. He had no idea what he was supposed to do in this situation; he never had any friends who were abused. At least he was assuming Miah was being abused.

          “Hey,” He softly said while sitting down at the small round table. Those hazel eyes finally looked up into his dark eyes, making Grady smile.

          “Hi.” Suddenly Miah started biting his bottom lip while rubbing the back of his neck. “Look, I’m really sorry about last week…”

          “Don’t worry about it,” Grady said with a small smile. “Let’s talk about history instead.” His heart fluttered when Miah gave him an actual real smile. He desperately wanted to ask him about what had happened earlier, but also didn’t want to push him. He’ll talk when he wants to.

          “So we’re talking about chapter sixteen right now which deals with-” Grady stopped paying attention after that first sentence out of his mouth. He honestly tried to pay attention but he couldn’t stop staring at his face.

          That slightly long brown hair of his was in his face, which looked like it was annoying him since he kept huffing when he moved it. Those hazel eyes seemed less bright today, it’s funny how they get darker when he’s in a good mood. However when he’s frightened or sad his eyes light up. You’d think it would be the other way around, but that’s just another thing that makes Miah so special.

          Another reason why Grady could not pay attention was because Miah was wearing his blue sweatshirt again. It looked like he was wearing a thin tee shirt underneath it, which was revealing some of that smooth looking chest. Something else different about him was he was wearing a beanie today. The hat was cream colored and looked like it was knitted; it also looked very thick and soft.

          I wish he would cuddle up with me if he ever got cold, he thought while continuing to stare at him. He suddenly noticed a thin silver chain on his neck. Without thinking he suddenly blurted out, “Do you wear a necklace?”

          Miah didn’t even look phased; it looked like a hint of something flashed across his eyes. However it was gone so fast Grady must’ve imagined it. When Miah took the necklace out from under his sweatshirt, it revealed an eye necklace.

          The pendent was small, about the size of a penny. It also looked like it could be a cat’s eye, with different shades of blue and green running from the pupil. “Wow… that’s amazing,” Grady said while leaning closer to get a better look.

          “I found it in my house when I was eight, I got so mesmerized by it, I decided to wear it every day. I also didn’t want my mom to get mad I found a nice looking necklace so I hide it from her. I know it’s not hers; she wouldn’t be able to afford something so nice. I have little fantasies…” He suddenly drifted off, his cheeks turning pink.

          “What kind of fantasies? I won’t judge you I promise,” Grady begged. Those hazel eyes finally met his while he softly said,

          “I used to dream that it was my father’s. My mom never mentions him, or whatever happened. I have no idea if he just left us, if he’s dead or something else. It makes me feel better dreaming that someone else is out there.” He softly smiled while touching the pendent with his thumb. “Probably stupid I know, I mean my dad probably left a long time ago. I shouldn’t be so naïve, but I can’t help but dream.”

          Grady smiled while leaning closer and setting his hand on top of the hand Miah was using to hold his necklace. Grady then gently touched the necklace with his thumb as well, before gently grazing his thumb over Miah’s. “I love your fantasy. Never change it.”

          He watched Miah smile before looking down at the table. Grady took that opportunity to take a closer look at his face. He had random freckles spread out along his chin and under his eyes. Lowering his eyes more he saw many more freckles painted on his neck, going down onto his shoulders. Unfortunately that pesky tee shirt blocked off any others he could see.

          Realizing his hand was still on Miah’s, he quickly dropped it while moving back into his seat. “So chapter sixteen huh?”

**

          “Oof,” Grady said while falling flat onto his back. He knew there should have been no way he could have gotten sacked, but of course he got distracted. Miah just had to walk out of the building at that time, making all his attention go to him and not to the practice he was currently sucking in.

          “Come on Noel, get your head in the game!” The coach yelled while Joel helped him stand up.

          “You okay man? You seem pretty spacy today.”

          “Yeah I’m fine,” Grady muttered while wiping his hands on his pants. Getting in position once again, he took a deep breath to clear his mind. “Green 52… green 52. Hut hike!” Luckily he was able to throw the ball to one of his teammates this time.

          Taking a quick glance over at the sidelines, he smiled when he saw Miah sitting watching their practice. It was a daily routine for him to drive Miah home, however he always felt bad because he had practice directly after school. Miah didn’t mind waiting, and it made Grady’s heart flutter a little from that simple action.

          Forcing himself to focus for another hour, he all but sprinted off the field to change. He didn’t even bother to shower; he could do that at home. Running back outside he plopped down next to Miah who was reading what looked like a culinary book. “Hey.”

          Those hazel eyes were suddenly looking up at him, a big smile forming on his face. Grady always felt amazing knowing he was the reason Miah was smiling. “Hi.”

          “Whatcha reading?”

          “Just a book… it’s saying how to get into culinary school.” Raising an eyebrow, he scooted closer so he could have a better view.

          “I didn’t know you wanted to be a chef.”

          “Well hopefully. We should probably get going, you need a shower.” Grady laughed while hoping up off the ground before they started making their way towards his Hummer.

          “I’m expecting to see you at the game tonight.” Looking down at the smaller boy, he saw he was biting his lower lip.

          “I’m not sure.”

          “Oh come one, it’ll be fun! You’ll probably see me falling on my ass.”

          “Like you did in practice?” Grady leaned his head back and laughed while the smaller boy next to him simply smiled.

          After driving the short distance to Miah’s house, Grady stopped and smiled while saying, “See ya later, hopefully.” Those hazel eyes looked at him, a smile on his face.

          “We’ll see.” With that Miah was exiting the Hummer and walking away. Grady was about to drive off when he noticed Miah not walking towards the house he had always said was his. Furrowing his eyebrows he made a mental note to ask what was up the next time he saw him. He desperately wanted to follow him, but knowing he had a game soon, he sighed while simply driving away, many questions floating around in his head.