Chapter Nineteen- Grady/Jeremiah

Grady        

        “What did I do wrong? I really thought he would have taken me back,” Grady said while throwing another dart to the dart board in front of him.

          “Have you even taken into account Miah’s feelings about all of this?” Elijah asked while taking another sip of his root beer.

          “Do you think I haven’t?”

          “Look Grady, I know where Miah’s coming from. When things started getting shitty with my parents, I felt like I didn’t deserve anything wonderful. I went through a period where I did not believe that I deserved someone as amazing as Hayden. I was trying to change my life drastically so it could make a little more sense to me.”

          “But I’ve always been supporting of him, I’ve never let his past define who he was,” Grady said while continuing to throw darts.

          “Miah’s in a fragile state right now, one where he believes he doesn’t deserve anything nice. I know he loves you, probably more than you realize. I don’t know for sure, but I’m assuming that’s why he got a job. He feels like he isn’t good enough for you, and probably won’t stop feeling that way until he has many material things.”

          Sighing, Grady sat down at the table while running his hands through his hair. “What am I supposed to do then?”

          “Make him see that he does deserve someone like you.” Looking up into Elijah’s eyes he asked,

          “What changed for you with Hayden?” Grady watched as Elijah ran a hand through his short blonde hair before saying,

          “I was in a bad state in my life. My parents didn’t understand how I could possibly like guys, and that I wouldn’t be able to carry on the family name. They kept bringing me down every possible way, making me feel absolutely awful. When Hayden was brought into my life, it was like my own personal angel had been sent to me,”

          “He was always so sweet to me, telling me that it didn’t matter what my parents said to me. I felt that I didn’t deserve him at all, because I was living with those awful people. Why did I deserve someone as nice as him? Hayden truly saved me. He started showing me that I deserved happiness, and that I needed someone who would truly love me, for the real me.”

          “What would he do?” Grady watched as a smile came onto Elijah’s face as he remembered.

          “He used to simply sit with me and hold my hand while I ranted about my parents. Just having him there with me, and actually listening and not judging, made me feel better. He also started writing me these letters, if I was ever in a down mood I was supposed to read one. Actually,” Elijah stopped as he reached into his pocket to get his wallet. After opening it he quickly pulled out a wrinkled piece of paper and handed it to Grady.

          “This was the very first letter he ever wrote to me. It was after one day where my parents were getting extremely mad at me, and I honestly felt like I couldn’t take it anymore. I don’t know how he did it, but he snuck into my room somehow and left it on my pillow. After that I’d receive little notes here and there, saying to open if I was feeling bad and he wasn’t there.” Gently taking the paper from him, Grady opened it and started reading.

          Elijah,

          Stop looking at the door, waiting for your parents to come barging in. Stop biting your nails and take a deep breath. Stop feeling like you aren’t worth it. Stop everything and read this. I know your parents make you feel bad, and that you simply don’t belong. You do Elijah, you do belong. You belong to yourself, and no one can make you feel bad about yourself except you. And you’re a strong person, hell you can lift me up even after I ate an entire cake (still no regrets). Okay, okay. I know that was the wrong strong, but I wanted you to crack a smile onto that beautiful face. You’re a strong person because you have to put up with a bunch of shit, which isn’t right. All that shit piles on top of you and makes you feel like you don’t matter at all. But you do matter, especially to me. Do you know how many times you’ve helped me become a better person? And not just me, you matter to so many people. This world would not be the same without you Elijah, not even close. Your parents can’t hurt you; they can’t tell you how to live your life or who to love. You are an amazing person, and you deserve the best. You deserve someone who will always take care of you. You deserve someone who will promise to always make you laugh and feel slightly awkward at some occasions. You deserve love. And you know what? I love you. I love just how strong of a person you are, how sensitive you are, and how big of a heart you have. And if your heart will allow it, it will make some room for a certain brunette in your life. Now dry those tears, because I know I cried while writing this, and come outside and let me kiss you.