Chapter Eighteen- Grady

A/N: two uploads in one day? I must be crazy. I felt bad that I hadn't updated in so long, been way too busy. Picture is of Miah's Christmas tree. Enjoy!   

        “I’m going out Mom, be back later!” Grady yelled before quickly opening and closing the heavy front door. Sighing he stuck his hands into his pockets, his breath coming out in swirls around him from the cold. Just as he was about to get into his Hummer he saw someone approaching him, and almost fainted when he realized who it was.

          “Mr. Rhett?”

          “Hello Grady,” Dakota said while stopping in front of him. “Do you mind if I talk to you?”

          “Sure, but do you mind if we don’t stand out in the cold?” Laughing Dakota nodded while getting into his car, Grady following him with his Hummer. Once they arrived at the small coffee shop they walked into the cozy shop, and ordering different coffee drinks.

          “So what did you want to talk to me about?” Grady asked while blowing on his black coffee.

          “Miah.” His eyebrows instantly shot up while feeling his stomach sink.

          “Is he okay? Did something happen?”

          “He’s fine, well as fine as he says. But first Grady, I need to say I’m so very sorry for getting upset with you at the hospital.”

          This was definitely not what he had expected to hear, almost dropping the coffee in his hands. “Mr. Rhett you don’t need to apologize, you were just being a parent and worrying abo-”

          “No, I wasn’t. I drove away the one person that Miah truly cared about; I’ve never seen him so sad and lonely. I know he misses you, and I know it’s all my fault. He didn’t want to be the reason we didn’t like each other, I don’t know how to get him to see he isn’t. I was letting my emotions get in the way too much, I shouldn’t have said anything about you scheming with Joel, that was wrong of me,”

          “I haven’t been in Miah’s life very long, but I haven’t seen happy like when he was with you. You’re the reason why he always had that smile on his face, the one I haven’t seen in way too long. Do you think there would ever be a way you guys could rekindle what you had?”

          Looking down at his hands, Grady sighed before saying, “I’m really not sure. He had wanted to take a break; I didn’t want to pressure him into anything so I kept my distance a little. Trust me; this break has been tearing me apart too. I haven’t even enjoyed the holiday, nothing is right without him. However I respect his decision to want a break. He hasn’t had a relationship before, and I would never want to pressure him into anything.”

          “And I thank you for that, but I don’t know how to help him. I know you guys haven’t been together that long, but you guys need each other. He has been through too many crappy things in his life to know when the good things come along.”

          “I can talk to him,” Grady said while looking up at Dakota’s face once again.

          “Thank you Grady, I don’t know how I’d ever repay you.”

          “I feel what we have now is a good start.” They smiled at each other, Grady feeling much better that his relationship with Miah’s father was strengthening. They stayed at the coffee shop for a while longer, until they went their separate ways. Instead of going home, Grady drove down to the small bookstore he knew Miah had been working in.