Chapter Seventeen- Jeremiah

“Have any sevens?”

        “Go fish.”

        “Ugh damn, I suck at this game.” Laughing Miah watched Ella glare at the stack of cards that was in front of them before reaching down to grab a card. His laughter quickly died down when he saw Grady walk by the open door. Grady stopped when he saw him, a smile on his face before he disappeared back down the hallway.

        Miah knew ending things with Grady wasn’t going to be easy, but he never knew just how bad it would be. Grady was still his friend, and actually didn’t make anything weird between them. He gave Miah the space he wanted at first, and continued to hang out with Hayden and Elijah with him. Of course it was nice that they were still friends, but Miah missed the intimate part of their relationship. He missed the way Grady would kiss his forehead if he had a headache, or how he would tickle him until he cried.

        “I should go,” he quietly said while biting the sleeve of his sweatshirt before standing up.

        “Why so soon?”

        “I don’t want to make Grady feel awkward.” He watched as Ella rolled her pretty dark eyes, standing up as well.

        “Your presence doesn’t make him feel awkward; he’s still in love with you Miah.” He felt his face fall, was he a horrible person for wanting to take a break? “I’m sorry, I’ll just shut up.”

        “No you’re fine… but I’m going to go.”

        “Call or text if you need to talk okay?” Nodding, he walked out of the room with a frown on his face. He had gotten halfway down the staircase when he heard,

        “Miah!” Turning around he saw Grady at the top of the stairs, hands in his pockets.

        “Hi.”

        “Hey. Before you leave, can I show you something? It’s in my room.” Nodding Miah walked back up the stairs and followed Grady down the hallway to his room. After coming inside Miah felt even sadder when he remembered how many times he had felt protected inside Grady’s strong arms on that bed.

        “So, I had gotten this for you when we were still together. But I still wanted to give this to you; it’s an early Christmas present.”

        “A present? You didn’t have to; I wasn’t able to get you anyt-”

        “It’s okay Miah, friends give each other presents right? And you don’t have to get me anything; your friendship is the greatest gift.” He watched Grady smile before disappearing into his closet. “I had to get it when I saw it, it was too perfect.”

        When he emerged from the closet his hands were behind his back, a big dimpled smile on his face. “Merry Christmas Miah, even though Christmas is two weeks away.”

        When he brought his hands to the front of his body, Miah smiled when he saw a purple unicorn wearing a leather biker jacket. “I figured that when you wear the unicorn shirt, you’d need at least one manly unicorn.”

        Laughing Miah gently took the stuffed animal into his hands, feeling tears in his eyes. This had been the first ever Christmas present someone had given to him. Looking up into those dark eyes he tried not to let his tears fall while he wrapped his arms around his body. “Thank you,” Miah whispered into Grady’s shirt.

        “You’re so welcome.”

        They stayed that way for a while, simply wrapped in each other’s arms, with the unicorn between them. “I named it Star Gremlin.”