Chapter Four- Jeremiah

Miah slowly made his way into the semi full crowd. He didn’t know why he ended up coming to the football game, he never comes to these. It must’ve been something in Grady’s eyes when he asked him to come. He hadn’t known him very long, but Miah could feel they were becoming friends. That thought terrified him to no end, seeing as he’s never really had friends.

          Taking one last step, he sat down in an empty row while snuggling deeper into his blue sweatshirt. What was so great about football games anyway? All it is is watching guys tackle other guys to the ground, right? Pulling his knit hat further down his ears Miah yawned while glancing down at the field.

          All of Garfield high school guys were already on the field warming up. That stupid bulldog of a mascot was running around trying to get the crowd even more pumped than they were. Taking another glance down at the field, Miah tried to figure out which one was Grady. He had never come to a football game before, he didn’t even know what number he was. Surely it couldn’t be too hard to figure out which one he is… except they all look the same.

          Purple and white uniforms were running around, their numbers becoming a blur. Miah’s eyes focused on the running guys, failing to figure out which one he was. Sighing, he looked down while playing with the sleeves of the long sweatshirt before looking up when he heard someone shout, “Heads up Grady!”

          Miah watched as a uniformed guy turned around and caught the ball before it hit his head. Taking his helmet off, Miah watched as Grady laughed before running over to the side of the field. 15. Funny how his number was the day he was born on.

          “Miah, hi!” Looking up he squinted while looking at a bubbly girl standing in front of him. It took only a few seconds for him to realize it was Ella, Grady’s younger sister.

          “Oh hi Ella.”

          “Mind if I sit next to you?” Looking at the empty seat next to him he simply shrugged while moving his feet so she could pass. “I never knew you came to these.”

          “I usually don’t, but Grady asked me to come.” Ella suddenly had a huge smile on her face, confusing him even more.

          “What?”

          “Nothing, I’m just glad you guys are becoming such good friends.” He simply looked back out at the field to see number 15 stretching, as well as the other players. For some un known reason he felt his cheeks get hot as he watched Grady stretch. Rolling his eyes he looked down at his hands again until Ella asked,

          “So when are you coming over again?”

          “Seriously?” Her pretty brown eyes furrowed as she asked,

          “What?”

          “Why would you guys want me to come back? The last time I was at your house I basically had a meltdown.”

          “Do you think we would really judge you Miah? No we’re not going to, never will.” Miah stared at her for a while until he started biting his lip and looked back out at the field.

          “I brought a blanket, if you’d want to share it. It’ll get pretty cold later.” He then watched as she gently placed the bright pink blanket over his lap. And for the first time in a while he smiled a huge smile, making Ella smile as well .

          The game was going pretty rough. Miah didn’t know a lot about football but he was pretty sure you needed some points to win. Grady seemed to just be… off. That was until he looked up into the crowd and locked his eyes with Miah. Grady’s face lit up into a smile when Miah gave him a thumbs sign. Something seemed to happen after that, Grady seemed to get his groove back. He would not believe that it was simply because he saw him in the stands… no that’s ridiculous.