Chapter Five- Jeremiah/Grady

A/N: this chapter contains serious material involving self harm. 

Jeremiah         

        “You stupid piece of shit, you’re not worth my time. You should really just kill yourself, save me the time.” Taking a hesitant look up, Miah groaned while his mom kicked him in the stomach once again. He didn’t dare move from his spot on the ground until he was sure she had left. Wiping the tears off his face he limped into the pathetic excuse for a bedroom he had and quietly shut the door. However he had run into the door while shutting it, scraping right across his arm.

          As he watched the blood start to ooze out onto his arm, he realized he didn’t mind the pain it had caused. Opening the door once again he located the jagged piece hanging off. With a deep breath he scraped his wrist upward, immediately crying out.

          Running into the bathroom he wrapped his wrist with toilet paper while falling down onto the floor. Sitting on the floor, he dared to look down to see the toilet paper was completely filled with blood making him cringe. After swallowing he gently removed the toilet paper while looking back up at the door.

          His mom had just told him he should kill himself, why not? He slowly stood up and decided to slash up his wrists and arms until he passed out, hoping he wouldn’t wake up.

*

          Opening one eye, Miah groaned while holding his head. Looking around he realized it was now dark out; he must’ve been sleeping for a while. Looks like I’m not dead, he thought while sitting up. Taking a glance down at himself he suddenly started to cry, feeling ashamed that he had hurt himself. Why did he do it? Why did he have to hate himself and his life?

          Basically crawling into the kitchen, he looked for anything that looked edible and stopped when he saw his mom. She was lying on the couch, alcohol bottles all around her. Sighing Miah grabbed a box of stale crackers and decided to hide out in his room until Monday. However once he got in his room he saw all the dirty clothes he had been meaning to get washed.

          Deciding to wrap his wrists with some old towels, he put all his dirty laundry into a bag and walked to the local Laundromat. Loading everything inside one washer he sat on top while idly playing with the sleeves of his blue sweatshirt. Looking at the sweatshirt made his mind wander to Grady, if only his life was like his. Maybe his wrists wouldn’t look like this right now. Maybe he would have more friends and actually smile and laugh like a normal senior in high school. Or maybe he’d be just as lonely.

**

          Monday couldn’t come soon enough for Miah, who was very happy to finally get away from his mom for a while. Funny enough she was still passed out on the couch. Miah’s little moment of hope quickly went away when he realized she was still alive.

          After making the walk to school he saw a group of the cool kids huddled outside of the front doors. Seeing Grady made a smile form on his face for the first time all weekend and was about to go over to him when he heard some girl ask, “Why are you hanging out with Miah Winters anyway? Everyone knows he’s a freak.”

          Stopping in his tracks he decided to hide behind the side of the building, afraid of what he might hear. “He’s not a freak Leanne; he’s actually really cool once you get to know him. And he’s tutoring me in History.”

          “You couldn’t get a girl to tutor you?” The Leanne girl asked again while chewing her gum like a cow.

         “Maybe if any of the girls in our grade were actually smart.” Miah smiled while gingerly holding his wrists before walking away. After seeing Grady stand up for him, he was okay with calling him his friend.