Monster

On the edge of West Coast with Ember

I ran out into the fog-covered town and away from the small diner. I wasn't entirely sure where I was going, I was just trying to find where the voice was coming from and try not to bump into anything. Why I was running into danger when the only ability I knew how to use was making a fire in my hand, is still unknown to me but whatever was out here is looking for the bearers and it isn't good.

There was a lot of noise around me, the thundering and stomps got louder as I drew near them. I could hear my footsteps following my heartbeat that was pounding in my ears, I thought I heard another pair of footsteps but ignored it as my goal was to get to the beast. I turned the corner on the street and saw what was both amusing and frightening a few meters in front of me.

It appeared to be some sort of mythical dragon but it looked like it was sculpted from the ingredients of a smore. Its head looked like a complete smore with beady eyes and horns added onto it, its mouth full of razor-sharp teeth. Its long neck was made of a stack of marshmallows that had a line of chocolate spikes running down it and it's back. Its body was made of what looked like charred gram crackers.

It spread it's chocolate lined Marshmellow wings and roared in my direction once it saw me or I suppose, my glowing ring. Now that I think about it, I have no plan what so ever but that's what I've always done so this isn't too new. I stood my ground in front of the dragon before running up to its side, trying to cover my ring so I have less of a chance at being spotted.

Being the good friend that he is, I could hear and see Kyle running behind me trying to avoid the dragon's head. It's neck twisted around and snapped at our heels as we fled behind it. Although it figured it couldn't reach us with its bare teeth, it realized how close we were to its tail. Swinging it in our direction to knock us off our feet, a pure reaction made me jump and grab onto the tail with all my might as it swung around.

Kyle had ducked and fled behind one of the cars on the wide street for cover, "Ember! Are you okay?" he yelled out to me. I pulled myself up and swung a leg on the other side of the tail, holding onto one of the chocolate spikes.

"Yeah! But how do we get rid of Sir Smores a lot?" I questioned, adjusting on grip on the scale. The tail was cutting through the air so fast it was like riding a wild bull if I actually knew what it felt like to ride one. The dragon started moving around, it's thundering steps making me almost lose my balance again.

"Hold on, I'm going to try something that I've never done before but hope it works," he shouted and ducked back down. Well, that's just so reassuring!

"What do you think I'm doing?!" I scream at him, not exactly pleased with his response. It was clearly unstable for me to stay on its tail so I tried standing up, using the cracker scales to find some kind of foothold. I reached out one hand to grab the next scale up and took a leap of faith to reach it without falling off. I wrap my arms around the scale just as I lost my footing and scramble to get back up.

This process repeats a few times before I'm at the base of the tail and on a more stable surface. I catch my breath as I look around for Kyle. The fog was getting thicker and at this height, all I could see was the green glow that represented Kyle's left wrist. I could see the dragon's head trying to follow him as he tried avoiding its snout. If the dragon lost track of him, it would raise it's head up while he would actually be under it for a second.

Then I could see something really bright emit from the dragon's head or more specifically, the back of its mouth. There is no way for Kyle to avoid it's fire so I let go one of my arms and waved it around. "Hey! Over here, you Marshmellow softie! I'm a bearer too so try to get me!" I holler trying to get its attention. I lit another fire in my hand and hoped that what I was going to do work.