Sugar

On the inner edge of West Coast

I was sitting on one of my legs while I quickly tended to my injured one. Kyle was still holding off whatever tried to attack us and I attempted to clean my wound. I pulled on one of my sleeves and used it to wipe away whatever it was on my calf.

I staggered back up, my leg having less of stinging pain now. My vision was still blurred but I could see Kyle holding the red rope-like body of the snake creature while its head seems to have been buried in the ground. 

He let go and backed away from the snake, walking back towards my weaker form. I pressed my weight on to one of my legs as I turned towards him, "Do you have any idea what snake that was so we could see if it was poisonous for my cut?" 

He shook his head, "That thing was not a snake. It was red but its head was something similar to a sugar skull or the makeup someone would have on for Halloween." I looked at him confused. 

"A sugar skull? Those skull candies that have colorful detailing?" I asked, thinking back to the sugar smell of my cut. 

He hummed in response and asked worriedly, "How is your cut by the way? It looks like it took a bit out of you." I looked down at my leg to see whatever was fizzing had stopped by now.

"My leg still feels a little weak but it was only a graze and the worst of it seems to have passed," I answered. 

He let out a breath of relief, "That's good, we should get going once it's better. If there are more of those things, I don't think I could handle more than one."

"Yeah, and I'd rather you not get hurt on my watch. We both know I'm the accident-prone one," I joked. Kyle gave me a worried look but it was only for a second as he turned away from me. 

I limped over to my bike and grabbed some bandages from my backpack, taking off the plastic and putting it in a small pocket before rolling up my jeans and placing the alcohol bandage on my cut.

 I rolled my pant leg back down and walked with a small limp back to Kyle who was staring at the creature again. "What's with you staring at it, it's dead isn't it?" 

"Can't you see it moving, it's very slightly but I doubt its dying," he replied dryly. I looked to the freshly moved earth but I couldn't see any movement due to the still blurred vision.

"No, the bite caused my vision to blur. Though it's a weird side effect for a wound more poised to my leg," I explained. 

"Do you think this thing is like that dragon we fought yesterday?" he asked.

"Well let's see, it's a weird creature based off of sweets, we've never seen anything like this before and neither has science or magic, and it's tried to attack us which isn't too suspicious but still weird," I listed off starting to where this is going.

He nodded and continued, "So let's say it is like the dragon, the dragon didn't disappear normally when it died. It turned in to a light liquid and was gone but the skull snake didn't do that yet."

I cringed as I got the picture, "It's not done with us yet, is it." He shook his head and put a protective arm in front of me as we stood frozen seeing the white skull coming out of the ground. 

My eyes widened in fear as the red coil of a body rose the head above the ground as it hissed its forked tongue towards Kyle and I. The brush behind the beast rustled and I realized just how long the snake's body was. 

I snapped my fingers, starting a small flame, prepared to fight as two more of those snakes came out of the bushes. The three skulls were perched up, almost at eye level with Kyle and me, but there was something else that was coming.