Chapter Seven: Christmas Party

Cassiopeia's POV
It was Christmas time, not that it felt much like Christmas. I'd spent most of my time in the library with Harry and Hermione, listening to Hermione rant about Ron. I chose not to hang around Ron much since he started seeing Lavender. Being in their company was rather awkward.

"But still Hermione, Cormac McLaggen?" I questioned.

"I figure it's the most likely to bother Ron," Hermione grumbled.

"It is. But, Cormac McLaggen?"

"I know, it's vile," Hermione replied.

I couldn't think of anything to say. It made sense that she wanted to irritate Ron. That's exactly what I'd wanted to before Fred and I were together.

"I just don't see how you'll stand him all night," I finally said.

"You'll come with us."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"You don't want to to because you can't go with Fred, but you don't have much of a choice. I don't want to be alone with McLaggen all night. So we can all go and I won't be alone with him and you won't be alone at all," she rambled.

Nobody in the world could have said no to the look she gave me after saying that. It was like a glacier went right through me.

"Fine. You owe me," I muttered unhappily.

The Christmas party was anything but fun. There were several famous wizards there I enjoyed meeting, but always got dragged away by Hermione and McLaggen. I didn't understand why any of us had even come. It isn't like the Slug Club is mandatory.

I felt Hermione grab my hand as she darted away from McLaggen faster than a snitch.

"Wow Hermione, I didn't know you could move so quickly. You could replace Harry as seeker if you could fly," I panted once she stopped.

"If he really thinks I'm going to snog him," She began angrily, "he's delusional. And disgusting."

"And a bloody moron," I added.

"Definitely."

We joined up with Harry a few moments later. I really hoped this would help Hermione's mood. Instead, the conversation turned back to Ron, and then how all boys talked about was Quidditch. Then, the next thing I knew was being dragged away. Again.

The arm chair next to the sofa was warm, and comfortable. A nice change from the heels I'd been wearing. Hermione had gone up to bed, and the common room was deserted.

Until Harry climbed through the portrait hole, and sat next to me.

"I've just heard Malfoy talking to Snape. He's definitely planning something," Harry said quickly.

"You didn't waste any time jumping into that conversation again," I said grumpily.

"It's the best way to get you to listen. Snape was offering him his help. And Bellatrix has been teaching him occlumancy," he rambled on.

The next half hour was spent wondering what Draco was up too, and me wondering why my brother was so obsessed with him.

Once we finished talking, I had to agree that whatever Draco was up too, it was pretty suspicious. I just didn't understand why Harry was so concerned about it.

Actually, I did. Harry had to stop Voldemort. He was used to fighting, and stopping the problem. Did that mean I had to be too?

I'd spent my life being far from the hero most of the time. Harry's not the only chosen one, remember? You're stuck with it too, I thought bitterly. Why were two teenagers responsible for stopping the darkest wizard of all time?

Fred's POV
The shops was bustling with business. People were shopping quickly, looking for last minute Christmas presents. It was only an hour until closing time and I found myself getting more and more impatient.

"Oi Fred!" George snapped, "Stop staring at the clock. You'll get to go home and snog Cas soon enough."

I glared at my brother, "right."

"Sorry Freddie, I shouldn't have snapped," George said immediately.

"It's okay," I mumbled.

George is stressed, I get that. Lately it's been hard to understand anything. He gets to see the girl he loves as often as he wants. It just doesn't seem fair. I know he misses Cas too, but not the way I do.

"Yeah well, passing over Fred's left buttock.." was the first thing I heard as I walked into the kitchen.

"I beg your pardon," I said, raising an eyebrow.

"Freddie?" Cassie asked, turning around quickly. The grin that spread across her beautiful features caused me to break into a smile.

I pulled her into my arms as George began to insult Ron. Finally, the ache of missing her disappeared. We could be together for more than a few hours at Hogsmeade. I gently kissed her forehead before I too, began to insult Ron.

After Ron was caught throwing a knife at me, all three of us went down to the village, much to Ron's annoyance. I kept Cassie's fingers carefully intertwined with mine, never wanting to let go.

George and I had decided on simply walking around the village with Kileigh and Cas. For once, I didn't mind spending time with the George and his girlfriend. Now that I wasn't a third wheel.

The village was covered in sparkling snow. I smiled as I watched Cas marvel at how beautiful it was. Her eyes gleamed as she looked at it, a soft smile on her lips. "Beautiful isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is," she agreed softly.

Suddenly something hit me hard in the back of the head and I felt cold running down my back.

"George!" I shouted turning around.

He had a wicked grin on his face, as did Kileigh.

Cas was already grabbing a snow ball. She launched it forward and it hit Kileigh in the leg. The next thing we all knew, we were in an intense snowball battle.

Snow was thrown back and forth, occasionally hitting a few innocent, but angry, bystanders.  I was reminded of the snowball fight before the Yule ball. Cas and I had come a long way since then.

A snowball missed my ear by half an inch. I took the moment to throw one at George's face, forcing them to surrender.

I grinned. Cassie hugged me and I picked her up and spun her around. This was a wonderful victory.

It was nearly dark by the time we decided to go back home.

"You two go ahead," I told George and Kileigh.

Cassie smiled before pressing her lips to mine.

"I've missed this," she mumbled into my mouth.

"Me too," I said before pulling her back for another kiss.

All too soon, she broke the kiss.

"Freddie?" She whispered hesitantly.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"We can keep making this work, right?"

A/N- Hey everybody! Sorry about the time between updates, I was crazy busy. I'll try to get the next chapter up soon to make it up to you ;) Thank you all so much for reading! XOXO