Chapter Twelve: The unusable spell

Cassie's POV
The common room was empty, most everyone was at dinner by now. I'd elected to skip dinner tonight and write my letters to Fred and George.

I'd just returned from the owlery when Harry came back into the common room.

I gaped at him.

"Harry? Is that blood?" I asked in shock. His robes were soaked and red, and he was paler than I'd ever seen.

"I'll explain in a minute," Harry said quickly as he darted up to the boys dormitory.

I sat down on the sofa and waited for him. My leg was shaking and I couldn't stop tapping my fingers.

Finally Harry came back down from the boys dormitory and I shot out of my seat.

"Are you okay?" I asked him immediately.

"Yes- yes I'm okay," Harry said.

My heart lifted, he was okay- physically at least. He still looked pale and shaken.

"Harry, what happened?"

"Where are Ron and Hermione?" He asked.

"They went to dinner, you know that."

"Right.. yeah," Harry grumbled.

Finally about an hour later, Harry finished telling me, as well as Ron, Hermione, and Ginny what had happened.

Harry had used a spell called 'sectumsempra' and nearly killed Draco Malfoy. He'd barely been saved by Snape coming in at just the right time.

Hermione immediately began to berate Harry for using anything that the Half Blood Prince wrote. I rolled my eyes at her, this wouldn't help the situation and I knew Harry felt bad enough as it was.

Awhile later it was just my brother and I left in the common room. I needed this chance to talk to him alone without someone else interfering.

"Harry," I said, looking over at my twin.

"Oh no. You're gonna lecture me to aren't you," he groaned.

"Maybe a little bit. But you know I have to," I said.

Harry nodded and gave me a look that clearly said, 'let's get this over with'.

"I just... why Harry? Why would you use a spell without knowing what it does? I know he was going to use an unforgivable curse... but you know plenty of other spells that would've helped! You're smarter than that!" I rambled.

"I don't know, I just did! I didn't have time to think... and so I used it and..." Harry trailed off.. looking down.

The guilt on his face was apparent. My stomach did a flip, I hated seeing Harry like this.

"I mean... at least we've figured out another category of curses. You've just discovers an unusuable spell," I said with a half smile.

It was a bad attempt at making him smile, but it was something. It barley worked, a faint smirk played on his lips before it quickly faded.

"Harry... just remember that this doesn't make you a bad person alright?"

Harry looked at me for a second, "I let so many people down. The quidditch team, Hermione, Ron, you..."

He trailed off and I knew he was thinking of Ginny.

"It happens sometimes. You made a mistake but the team will forgive you. So will me and our friends. And so will Ginny. Look at the way she stood up for you, it's okay. You made a mistake and you learned."