Chapter 3

Looking down at me with a crooked yet intimidating smile stood Edgar Mathews; my bastard of a 'family friend'. I had known Edgar since I was kid. We used to be friends back when we were both young and innocent. He moved out with his mum a while back and cut all ties with all his friends here, me included. Though he no longer lives in Hill View anymore he 'visits' me every once in a while. The first time he 'visited' I was in the middle of taking a beating from my fucker of a father when he showed up. He saved me from him but just as I was about to thank him he grabbed my arm yanked me to the nearest room and pushed me down on the bed then he...

"Hi Dani," His deep voice breaks me from my thoughts and I look up to be greeted by his cold eyes. "Have you missed me?".

"W...w-where is my d-d-dad?" I stutter in fear.

"He went out its just you and me now," My hands begin to shake as my previous experiences with this monster flash before my eyes. He snakes his arm around my waist "I've missed you," I'm trembling now as he lifts me up and carries me to my room. He lays me down and I start to thrash around.

"P-Please don't!" I beg, tears streaming down my face. He pins my arms by my side but I keep screaming until he slaps me in the face.

"Shut up, this doesn't need to be any harder than it already is," He then gives me a smirk and says "you know what I'm capable of". I freeze, scared of what will happen next.

Fins POV

As I'm driving home I notice that Dani has left her phone in my car. Shit. I turn the car around and start to head back to her house. I know Dani doesn't like having friends over because of her dad. He is very strict about inviting guests over and the only time both me and Izzy are allowed is when her dad isn't home. Though I barely see him he is always drunk so I never question Dani about it.

I get out of the truck and knock on the door. I hear two voices speaking in hushed whispers but I can barely make it out. I manage to catch a few words though "put.....clothes..... door". A few moments later Dani answers the door. She looks tired but soon wakes up when she sees me there. "Hey you forgot your phone," I say as a pass it to her.

"Thank" she whispers. "Be careful next time he could have heard or seen you".

"Who?" Why does she look so nervous, her dad's car wasn't parked out front.

"My dad," she replies instantly making me slightly suspicious.

"Where is his car then?"

"Its being serviced he is sleeping in his room right now," Well that makes sense.

"See you later then,"

"See you too" she says as she closes the door. That was weird.

Just as I'm walking out of her driveway I hear a voice maybe coming from her house say something like "shut up or else". I'm probably just hearing things; I think as I ignore it.

Dani's POV

Thankfully, Edgar doesn't question me about Fin though he does warn me to keep my mouth shut as always. He leaves shortly after when he sees my dad coming in.

"Dani, get down here now you fucking bitch," the fat fuck shouts.

What?I want to shout back at him but instead I say "Coming," I make my way down the stairs to see him eye me up and down.

"Looks like Edgar likes it rough," No need for the fucking comment. "Anyway, why the fuck did I get a phone call telling me that my stupid daughter is failing maths and will need tutoring if she wants to pass. Your lucky I even bother to send you to school you dumb shit," He steps forward and grabs my hair in his hand. "I get one more phone call and I'll do much worse than this,"

He then lifts my top up and slams the empty beer bottle in his hand onto my stomach making it shatter into multiple pieces a few of them lodged deep in to my stomach. I fight back the urge to cry.

"Now get out of my sight, piece of shit,"

I stagger back to my room carefully and head to the bathroom to slowly and painfully pull out all the glass and bandage my stomach. My ribs still ache and the bruise is barely fading. I lie down and do everything I can to fall asleep ignoring the throbbing of my ribs, pain in my stomach and trembling of my legs.

. . .

After making breakfast with a few slaps here and there race out of the house and head to the graveyard. Most people would find the graveyard to be sad place. Me on the other hand I think the opposite. My dead mother has given me more comfort than my father will ever. I look on her gravestone and read the words for what feels like the millionth time:

Samantha Warren

Loving mother and wife

I sit on a park bench and wonder how such sweet woman could marry such a cruel man. My dad wasn't as bad as he is now but still yelled and hit my mum every once in a while. Though she would never complain. Neither do I. Her death not only broke me but it tore our family apart. My father lost control began drinking more and more to the point where he would come home angry and abusive. My brother on the other hand disappeared the night she died and I haven't seen him since. I wish my family could be normal. I would do anything for her to be sitting beside me and comforting me instead of possibly feeling sorry for me when she should be enjoying heaven.

"I thought you would be here," I whip my head around to see Fin standing behind me.

"What are you doing here?"

"What no hi or hello, straight to the point now are we?" He teases coming to sit beside me. "You weren't answering my calls or texts so I figured you would be here,"

"Sorry I didn't know I was here that long," I said getting ready to stand up but instead Fin pushed me down.

"Tough night?" I nod. "I miss her too you know. She was more a mum to me than my mum would ever be," I nod again remembering how after the divorce my mum had taken Fin under her wing and helped him as if he was her own.

I continue to fight the urge to cry but I still feel a tear cool down my cheek. Fin pulls me onto his lap and giving me a hug. Though I can handle playful touches hugs get to me and I fight every urge to flinch. But I still feel my hands shake. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," he murmurs into my hair.

"I-i-it's not your f-f-fault," I stutter, my body itching to flinch away from him.

"You need some cheering up, lets get out of here," says Fin as he allows me to stand up still not letting go of my hand.

I calm down a bit now that he is touching a lot less of me and say "where to?"

"I don't know about you but I feel like a hot chocolate, chocolate therapist?" he offers.

"Book me a session," I repeat their slogan making us both laugh.

As we get into the car I feel a cut in my stomach start to sting and I hiss in pain. "You okay?" Fin asks looking at me worriedly.

"I'm fine just..." my stomach almost bursts in pain and I can't help but let the tears roll down my cheeks. Before Fin can asks anymore questions I quickly say "my mum,"way to go Dani blame it on your dead mum why don't you?

"Dani your so much stronger than that, I know it hard but..." Fin trails off while soothingly rubbing my back. My stomach still feels like its on fire but as always I suck it up and do my best to wipe away the tears. "Can we just go?" I whisper knowing that if I speak any louder it will hurt. "Sure" I hear Fin mutter under his breath as he pulls out of the graveyard.